Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a cover letter and to whom should I address it?
- Why do I need to submit transcripts?
- Do my transcripts need to be official copies?
- Can I apply if I don't currently have authorization to work in the U.S.?
- Does the college reimburse candidates for travel expenses?
Information Specific to Staff (Classified) Positions
- What if I'm not available to take a required test (e.g., the secretarial "in-basket" test) on the date listed in the job posting?
Information Specific to Faculty Positions
- What are the minimum qualifications to teach in a specific faculty position?
- What if I don't meet the minimum qualifications for a faculty position?
- What is a placement file?
- What is the difference between a curriculum vitae and a resume?
- How can I get information about what classes I might be asked to teach?
Applying to MiraCosta College
- What types of jobs are available at the college?
- How do I find out what jobs are currently open?
- How do I know what type of application to use?
- How do I apply for a job online?
- How long does it take to complete the online application?
- Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
- Can I make changes to my online application?
- Can I save my application before I finish completing it?
- How do I print a copy of my completed online application?
- How does the application process work?
- I missed the deadline. Can I still apply?
- Can I apply for a position by sending my resume?
- I can't remember my password. What do I do?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Can someone help me complete the online application?
- If I don't have a computer, where can I go to complete an online application?
- Who will see my application if I use the online applicant site?
- What documents am I going to be asked to attach when I apply for a job?
- How can I attach my required documents?
- What if I don't have my required documents in an electronic format?
- Can I use my attachments that I have attached to a previous posting for future postings that I apply for?
- Are there size and other limitations to documents that can be attached?
- I am having a technical problem with my computer that is stopping me from completing the application or applying to a job. What can I do?
- I am having a problem using the Back button to get to a prior page. It keeps returning me to the same page. What do I do?
- Why does the site require cookies?
- I'm having trouble viewing the converted PDF documents. What do I do?
A #1 - A cover letter highlights your qualifications (e.g., relevant experience, skills, training, education) for the position. The cover letter may be addressed to the 'Selection Committee'.
Q #2 - Why do I need to submit transcripts?
A #2 - For positions which require a degree or equivalent to a degree, transcripts of all college coursework must be submitted in order to verify that an applicant meets the minimum educational requirements. It is the applicant's responsibility to black out any date of birth or social security numbers on transcripts before attaching them to an application. Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by a detailed evaluation from a formal evaluation agency. www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
Q #3 - Do my transcripts need to be official copies?
A #3 - No, legible unofficial transcripts stating your degree was conferred (if applicable) are acceptable at the time of application, but official transcripts will be required if you are hired. It is the applicant's responsibility to black out any date of birth or social security numbers on transcripts before attaching them to an application. Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by a detailed evaluation from a formal evaluation agency. www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
A #5 - Generally, reimbursement is given only for final interviews. If you are invited for an interview, the Human Resources staff will let you know if reimbursement is possible.
Q #6 - What if I'm not available to take a required test (e.g., the secretarial "in-basket" test) on the date listed in the job posting?
A #6 - If you are unable to attend the testing, your application will not be considered for the position. We do not offer alternate test dates.
Q #7 - What are the minimum qualifications to teach in a specific faculty position?
A #7 - Detailed information can be found on the State Chancellor's minimum qualifications list.
A #8 - You may apply through equivalency.
Q #9 - What is a placement file?
A #9 - Some colleges provide this to their graduates. It may also be referred to as a Credential File. Placement files are a place to store letters of reference. Optional items that may be included in a placement file are course summary forms and transcripts.
Q #10 - What is the difference between a curriculum vitae and a resume?
"Curriculum vitae" is a term frequently used in higher education and "resume" is more common in most other industries. Both are a summary of your education, skills, work experienece, publications, etc.
Q #11 - How can I get information about the classes I might be asked to teach?
A #11 - Each academic discipline has a page on the college website. You can see the types of degrees and/or certificates offered in the discipline, and there is a link to the course descriptions in the college catalog.
- "Administrator" - titles include Dean, Vice President and Superintendent/President
- "Faculty" - academic positions for instructors, counselors and librarians (both full and part-time)
- "Staff" (also known as "classified") - all other types of non-teaching positions
A #14 - There are 3 different types of applications:
- Administrator application
- Faculty application for teaching, counseling & librarian positions
- Classified application for staff positions
All job postings will indicate the type of application the posting requires. The posting will only accept the application type the posting indicates.
- Create your online application(s). Please be sure to choose the correct application for the posting for which you would like to apply.
- Create a login user name and password. This will enable you to come back and apply for additional positions as well as check on the status of a position.
- Enter all the information requested on the application. Please be sure to click "Save and Continue to Next" to ensure that all the information is saved.
- Once the application is complete you are ready to apply to a posting(s).
- Click "Search Postings" on the left on the navigation bar. Select the posting you would like to apply to. Click on "Apply for this Posting."
- Once this is completed, you will be able to attach documents, such as a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and letters of recommendation.
- You will receive a confirmation number after this step is completed. You have successfully applied to a posting once you receive this confirmation number.
- If you would like to apply to another posting repeat steps 5 through 7.
- Your application has NOT been submitted until you receive a CONFIRMATION number from the system. This confirmation number is your receipt that you have successfully submitted your application.
Q #16 - How long does it take to complete the online application?
A #16 - You should allow 30-40 minutes for the total process. You can expedite the process by collecting important information about previous work experience, education, certifications, etc. BEFORE you start creating your application.
Q #17 - Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
A #17 - Yes, you may apply to more than one job posting. However, to ensure that all information is current, you will be required to review your application each time before applying it to a new job posting.
A #18 - Unfortunately, any updates that are made to your online application will not be automatically updated to any postings that you have previously applied to. Any information that is updated can only be used for future postings that you apply for.
If you need to update your application, please do the following:
- Click on "Manage Applications" once you log in with your User Name and password.
- Click on "Edit Application." This will take you to the beginning of your application.
- Edit any information that needs to be updated. Be sure to click "Save and Continue to Next" to ensure that the updates are being saved.
- Follow through the entire application until you get to the last page. Certify your application and save it. This concludes the updating process.
- If you have applied for a particular posting and need to change your personal contact information, please contact the Human Resources office at (760) 795-6854 and Human Resources will make this change for you.
Q #19 - Can I save my application before I finish completing it?
A #19 - Yes, however you must first complete all of the required fields notated with a red asterisk on the current page before the application can be saved. If you cannot finish the entire application at one time, you may complete just the required fields on the page and return later to finish the application and apply for a specific job posting.
NOTE: The applicant site will automatically time out if you leave your computer idle for more than 60 minutes.
Q #20 - How do I print a copy of my completed online application?
A #20 - If you have not yet submitted your application, on the last page of your online application, you will have the opportunity to preview your completed application. When your application opens in a new browser window with the printable version of the application, using the tool bar at the top of your computer screen, click on File/Print and follow the prompts on the screen to print.
If you have submitted your application, click on the "Manage Applications" link and then click View Applications. You may then click on File/Print and follow the prompts on the screen to print.
Click the "Close Window" link in that new window to return to the online employment site.
- Applicants must complete and submit an application online. All required documents need to be attached to the online application by the closing date. All postings are removed from our website at 12:00 midnight the day the posting closes.
- Once submitted all applications will be screened for minimum qualifications by Human Resources.
- Applications that meet the minimum qualifications will then be submitted to the selection committee for review. This process takes approximately 4-6 weeks from the closing date of a posting.
- Qualified applicants who are to be interviewed will be contacted by a Human Resources representative.
- You may log on to our site with your User Name and password at any time during this process to check the position status.
NOTE: Possession of the minimum qualifications for a position does not ensure an interview.
*The recruitment for associate (part-time) faculty is different from other position types. In this case we accept applications for a POOL of qualified candidates.
Q #23 - Can I apply for a position by sending my resume?
A #23 - We do not accept resumes as an application for a job posting. A MiraCosta online application must be completed and submitted to the job posting (and any other required materials need to be attached or submitted) in order to be considered.
Q #24 - I can't remember my password. What do I do?
A #24 - The system may be having trouble with the password you are entering. The system is case sensitive and will not log you in if capitalization or spacing is different from the password that you first originated. If you are still having trouble, please try the following:
- From the website, click the "Login" link on the left, and then click "I Forgot My Password" (below the boxes where you enter your User Name and password).
- At the prompt, enter your User Name.
- The system will ask you the password retrieval question that you entered when you originally created your account. Respond with the answer you selected when you created your account (the answer is case-sensitive).
- The system will reset your password to be the same as your User Name.
- Enter your User Name and new password (also your User Name) in the login boxes. You will immediately have to change your password once you have logged in.
- This should enable you to log in, view your application and apply to postings online. If you need further assistance, please contact the Human Resources office during business hours at (760) 795-6854 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q #25 - How can I check the status of my application?
A #25 - Log on to the employment site at any time using your User Name and password. From the left hand navigation bar, select "Application Status." You may verify the current status of your application for each posting for which you have applied by reviewing the "Status" column provided on the Application Status screen.
Q #26 - Can someone help me complete the online application?
A #26 - Human Resources staff members are available to answer questions about the online system. You may visit the Human Resources Department on the main Oceanside Campus, One Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (except holidays); call (760) 795-6854; or contact us by e-mail at email@example.com. We strive to respond to e-mails within 48 hours, but this may not be possible just prior to a closing date. If you require assistance within 24 hours of the job posting closing date, please call during regular business hours instead of e-mailing.
Q #27 - If I don't have a computer, where can I go to complete an online application?
A #27 - You may visit your local library or the college's libraries or various businesses which offer computers for rental use. Our Human Resources office also has a computer and scanner for your use during business hours.
Q #28 - Who will see my application if I use the online applicant site?
A #28 - Your online application information is located on a secure web server and will only be available to the Human Resources department and the applicable selection committee for the specific job opening for which you apply. Your voluntary demographic information will only be available to Human Resources and will be used for EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) reporting purposes only.
Information about convictions (misdemeanors or felonies) will only be available to Human Resources and the Director of Risk Management.
Security of your personal information is provided in two different ways:
- The applicant site is password protected. When creating a new online application, you will be prompted to provide a personal User Name and password. This information will grant you access to view and edit your personal information ONLY.
- The http://miracosta.edu domain name also holds an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) Certificate by Thawte http://www.thawte.com. This SSL certificate ensures that our registered domain name holds a secure socket layer of encryption. The SSL ensures that your personal data is submitted to the correct secure server and that your data is encrypted when sent over the internet.
A #29 - Each job posting is different and will specify the required documents. Generally they include cover letter, resume/CV, and transcripts.
Q #30 - How can I attach my required documents?
A #30 - You may attach any required documents after you apply for a posting. Electronic documents in Word or PDF format can be attached on the attachment page of the application. (This page will only show up once you have applied to a posting.)
After completing the online application and applying it to the posting, you will come to the "Attach Documents" screen that allows you to do one of two things:
- Attach a Word or PDF file as applicable; OR
- Copy and paste or type information in the open text box provided.
*It is important to read all of the instructions on the Attach Documents screen carefully to ensure you submit ALL of the attachments required for the posting. The attachment requirements may vary depending upon the position type. When attaching transcripts, it is the applicant's responsibility to black out any date of birth or social security numbers prior to attaching them to an application.
- Scan your documents.
- The Human Resources office on the main Oceanside campus offers a computer and scanner to prepare your documents for attaching to your application.
- Documents from other sources such as transcripts and letters of recommendation may be mailed to the Human Resources department for scanning. These documents must be received by the closing date. It is the applicant's responsibility to black out any date of birth or social security numbers prior to attaching them to an application.
Human Resources will scan your documents into a PDF format and will attach the electronic files to your applicable online application. Please allow up to five days for documents to be attached. You may login to the site to review and confirm the document attachments.
NOTE: All submitted materials will become the property of the MiraCosta Community College District, and will not be returned to the applicant.
A #32 - Yes, once your documents are scanned in and attached to a posting you may use those documents again for a future posting. Follow this process:
- Apply to a posting. (You may refer to question #15, 'How do I apply for a job online? or #17, 'Can I apply for more than one job at a time?')
- Answer any supplemental questions.
- This will take you to the 'Attach Documents' screen.
- Click on the 'Attach' button beside the document you would like to attach.
- A browse bar will show up with the title 'Attach a previously saved document.' You can view the attachment to verify. If you have attached more than one document under that attachment, it will give you the option of attaching any of the previosuly saved documents.
- Click 'Attach' to attach the document.
- Confirm attachment.
- Repeat if you would like to attach any previously saved documents.
- When you have finished attaching, click 'Finished Attaching.'
- Confirm. You will receive a confirmation number.
Q #33 - Are there size and other limitations to documents that can be attached?
A #33 - Yes, file size is limited to 2MB. If you encounter a problem, there are a few things you can do. One is to scan documents at a lower resolution that keeps the quality of the documents and permits lower space. Another is to eliminate graphics.
PDF: Documents need to be scanned into a PDF document. (Remember to keep scanning program parameters low to remain within the 2MB limit.)
If you still have problems, separate documents and send as two different attachments.
Q #34 - I am having a technical problem with my computer that is stopping me from completing the application or applying to a job posting. What can I do?
Q #35 - I am having a problem using the Back button to get to a prior page. It keeps returning me to the same page. What do I do?
A #35 - The site only responds to the buttons within the site. Please use the navigation buttons within the site. Most navigation buttons are at the top and bottom of the pages.
Q #36 - Why does the site require cookies?
A #36 - Cookies are required for our site to be able to manage where a person is in the site. We do not capture any personal or computer information in those cookies. If you are still concerned, you may delete the cookies once you have completed the application process.
A #37 - You might be having problems viewing your PDF documents due to the way your Adobe Acrobat Reader is set up. To adjust your Adobe settings:
- Close all browser windows.
- Open Adobe Acrobat (must be 5.0 or greater).
- If Adobe is version 5.x, do the following. For version 6.x, go to step 4.
- a. Choose Edit-Preferences-General
- b. Select Options on the left
- c. Uncheck "Display PDF in Browser"
- If Adobe is version 6.x, do the following:
- a. Choose Edit-Preferences
- b. Select Internet on the left
- c. Uncheck "Display PDF in Browser"
- Close Adobe Acrobat
- Open a new browser window, log into the Employment site, and try again.
If you are using a Mac, an Apple program called PDFViewer is the default PDF viewer. If you open the file in PDFViewer, save it to your desktop. Open it in Adobe and it will be readable. For the long-term, you will need to change your default PDF viewer to Adobe in order to view things properly.