Employee Recognition Programs
Outstanding Employee Award - Spring 2015
Ralph Pickering, Grounds Supervisor, was named the recipient of the spring 2015 Outstanding Employee Award. Here's what his colleagues had to say about him:
- He is a wellspring of outstanding ideas.
- His professional growth allows many of us to grow professionally by learning from him.
- He is constantly studying his field to make sure he's aware of the latest trends.
- He manages projects in a highly professional manner.
- He goes the extra mile day in and day out.
- His commitment to sustainability lends his work a high degree of pragmatism and ethical social responsibility.
- Water usage has been reduced on campus, plants have been changed to more water-wise varieties, chemical usage and the waste stream has been reduced, and recycling is successful at MiraCosta.
- He was instrumental in developing the Veterans Memorial Garden and the citrus grove near the Oceanside student center. These projects would likely have not been realized without Ralph’s extra efforts.
Outstanding Employee Award - Fall 2014
Aimee Barragan, Administrative Secretary for Nursing and Allied Health, was named the recipient of the fall 2014 Outstanding Employee Award. Here's what her colleagues had to say about her:
- Consummate professional with tremendous knowledge, foresight, and critical thinking abilities that benefit MCC greatly.
- Innovative at solving issues in a prompt and timely manner.
- Cheerful and professional and never loses her cool.
- Positive, fun, hard-working and a joy to be around.
- Dependable, self-motivated and always cheerful.
- Goes beyond anyone's expectations.
- Adeptly navigates strong personalities with ease.
- Always kind to students and professional in her demeanor with them and with faculty.
- Volunteers her time to assistMCC's Women's Soccer team to complete their financial aid and other paperwork.
- She is a very positive force in the nursing department and in the entire college.
- Aimee Barragan is one of the jewels of our college!
About the Award
Twice a year, fall and spring semester, MiraCosta College recognizes an extraordinary classified staff member with an Outstanding Employee Award. The recipient receives a $500 check and plaque at a college-wide function. Staff are eligible to receive this award one time only during their employment at MiraCosta College. Nominations for Outstanding Employee are accepted in November and April of each year. The following selection procedures are used to identify the recipient of each semester's award:
- Quality of Work: Assignments completed in a timely manner; finished products show a high degree of professionalism; work shows quality and a commitment to excellence.
- Extra Effort: Participation in activities outside of the job description; flexible and accepting of change.
- Positive Attitude: Works with enthusiasm; willing to accept and give constructive criticism; attitude and appearance reflect positively on the institution.
- Cooperation With Others: Works well with other employees; has outstanding working relationships with students, faculty, staff and friends of the college.
- Professional Growth: Shows a commitment to professional growth and development by attending conferences, participating in workshops, and/or enrolling in job-related courses.
- Outstanding Ideas: Contributes to and enhances the college's programs and services with innovative and outstanding ideas.
Click here to view previous Outstanding Employee Award Recipients
This program is funded through the district.
Spotlight Outstanding Service Award
About the Award
The Spotlight Awards for Outstanding Service, Individual and Team Projects recognize outstanding effort that may affect only a single department or small number of employees or that may have campus-wide impact. Nominations for both types of awards are to be made by self or peers whenever employees feel an employee or project is eligible.
Nominations are considered once each year by the Employee Recognition Committee, consisting of the Senate President, Immediate Past President, and two classified senate members. Up to three awards in each category may be presented each year. Award winners will be featured in a Spotlight column in the MiraCostan. This program is funded through Classified Senate Dues.
1. Spotlight Award for Team Projects
Nominations made by self or peers for jobs well done by a group of two or more employees (teams may include non-classified). Award is a certificate of appreciation and the team’s choice of either catered breakfast or lunch (limit $15 per person) ordered from Premier Food Services and delivered to their work site.
2. Spotlight Award for Outstanding Service
Nominations made by self or by peers for outstanding service by a classified employee to students or fellow employees. Each winner will receive:
- $75 cash card,
- a coupon for one hour of release time, to be pre-arranged with his/her supervisor,
- a certificate of recognition, and
- complimentary enrollment in a MCC Community Services class (up to $75 value)/
Click here to view previous Spotlight Award Recipients
Classified School Employee Week
MiraCosta College, in conjunction with the California Education Code, designates the third week in May to honor the many contributions that classified employees make to the educational community.
The Gold Circle Club
Retired classified employees who meet simple requirements in years of service and age are eligible for membership in the Gold Circle Club in recognition of their years of service. The Gold Circle Club serves as a way to maintain an enduring connection with MiraCosta. Click here to learn more about The Gold Circle Club.