As stated in Article III of the FA Bylaws, the Ombudsperson shall:
- Work through appropriate channels to resolve grievances impacting the working conditions of one or more members of the Faculty Assembly.
- Update the FA Council on working conditions grievances and to advise the FA Council on such matters should they emerge in formal negotiations. Such updates shall occur in closed session when necessary to protect the privacy rights of individual faculty members or other district employees.
- Address individual faculty complaints, including grievances related to working conditions.
- Remain current on all district policies, laws, and regulations related to grievances and faculty rights.
- Work with district personnel and other campus constituencies to formulate policies and offer training designed to limit and resolve conflicts.
- With regards to disputes between members of the FA, the Ombudsperson will advise members and mediate as necessary without taking sides.
- With regards to disputes between faculty members and the district or others outside the membership of the FA, maintains an interest in resolving the issue to the advantage of faculty interests.
- Calm, reasoned sincerity should govern the ombudsperson’s efforts in all cases. The ability to listen carefully without interruption or the imposition of personal bias are essential qualities.
- Other duties as determined by the Council and established in FA Rules
If you feel you have an issue related to your working conditions, and you would like to discuss it further with your Faculty Assembly Ombudsperson, please contact: