Math and Sciences
Do you like making logical connections, conducting experiments, and discovering and analyzing how something works? The Math and Sciences ACP is designed for those who are curious about the world and how it works. Our programs serve as building blocks to any certificate, associate degree, or bachelor degree, and they can prepare you for a career in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields as well as medicine.
- You will have many options to choose from in the Math and Sciences ACP, such as biology, chemistry, biomanufacturing, biotechnology, mathematics, physics, computer science, earth sciences, and horticulture.
Careers in Math and Science *
- Lab technicians, lab assistants, chemical technicians, biomanufacturing technicians, and crime lab analysts.
- Engineers, computer programmers, software developers, database managers, and video game developers.
- Landscape architects, sustainable agriculture managers, pest control specialists, horticulturalists, and food scientist technicians.
- Economic analysts, research analysts, statisticians, information scientists, and database administrators.
- Chemists, mathematicians, and research scientists.
- Biologists, ecologists, biochemists, marine biologists, meteorologists, physicists, and oceanographers.
- Medical doctors, pharmacists, and dentists.
*Many of these careers require a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Nate Phillips this fall enrolled with the inaugural cohort of 23 junior-year students at MiraCosta College's groundbreaking bachelor's degree program in Biomanufacturing. MiraCosta is one of just 15 California community colleges selected in a pilot project allowing the campuses to offer a for the first time a bachelor's degree in an in-demand field.
"I couldn't be happier," said Phillips, 32. "This is a profession that is growing exponentially, especially in San Diego County. The market is there. This is the spot for it. It's a great field to get into and it’s a great program to have at MiraCosta." READ MORE ABOUT NATE.
Programs of Study
KEY: Certificate of Proficiency Certificate of Achievement Associate Degree Bachelor's Degree
|Program of Study||Programs||Sequence|
|Biology||Biology for Transfer|
|Biology Major Prep||MAP|
|Environment Science Major Prep (SDSU)||MAP|
|Environment Systems Major Prep (UCSD)||MAP|
|Research and Development||MAP|
|Research and Development|
|Chemistry||Chemistry Major Prep||MAP|
|Computer Science||Computer Programming Fundamentals|
|Computer Programming Fundamentals|
|Geology||Geology Major Prep||MAP|
|Nursery/Horticulture Crop Production||MAP|
|Nursery/Horticulture Crop Production|
|Pest Control Adviser||MAP|
|Pest Control Adviser|
|Sustainable Landscape and Turf Management||MAP|
|Sustainable Landscape and Turf Management|
|Viticulture and Enology||MAP|
|Viticulture and Enology|
|Liberal Arts: Mathematics and Sciences||Liberal Arts: Mathematics and Sciences|
|Mathematics||Mathematics Major Prep||MAP|
|Physics||Physics Major Prep||MAP|
**These maps are suggested sequences for course completion. Please consult a counselor to first complete an educational plan.
Not Sure which major to choose? Explore your options here.