- Associate Faculty Voicemail Policy
- Associate Faculty Email Policy
- District Supported Email-Enabled Cell Phones
- Technical Support for Auxiliary Services
AIS will create a voicemail account for associate faculty upon receipt of a request to the MiraCosta College Employee Help Desk (submit request online) or via email (email@example.com) including the instructor's full name, present email address, and telephone number for contact purposes. Associate faculty will be notified by automatic email from the Help Desk when the voicemail account has been created. To retrieve this information including the voicemail account number and temporary passcode, contact either your department chair, direct-report supervisor or the Employee Help Desk 760.795.6850.
After the voicemail account number and temporary password are retrieved, two resources are available: a quick guide for voicemail account access as well as an detailed comprehensive guide for access and use.
Voice mailboxes will be deleted if not accessed and initialized (set up with the personalized greeting, revised password, etc.) by the associate faculty member within two weeks after notification of account creation.
Each voicemail box will be limited to 15 megabytes of storage space which equates to approximately thirty (30) minutes of messages. Messages are retained for a maximum of thirty (30) days and will be automatically purged after thirty (30) days. Voicemail accounts not accessed for ninety (90) consecutive days may be deleted. Once a voicemail account exceeds the size limit, voicemail can neither be sent nor received. The account can still be logged into for reduction of the number of messages, thus reducing the size of the account and restoring the account's ability to send and receive messages.
Regarding email accounts for associate faculty, if an associate faculty member does not teach for two (2) consecutive semesters (excluding Summer intersession), the voicemail account is deleted. When a voicemail account is deleted, re-creation of the account may require the approval of the Dean, Academic Information Services and the new account may not have the same number as the deleted former mailbox.
MiraCosta College voicemail may be accessed by telephone or through the MiraCosta email system by computer (known as Unified Messaging.) By default, voicemail accounts will not be integrated with a user's email account unless requested; accounts may only be integrated with a MiraCosta College email account. Users are strongly encouraged not to integrate their voicemail and email accounts unless they have access to a high-speed Internet connection off campus (i.e., DSL, Cable Modem.)
The following guideline is used for Associate Faculty email accounts due to high volume of accounts which are created but never used: Email older than 120 days (typically one semester excluding Summer Intersession) is automatically deleted from email accounts at 4 a.m. each Saturday. If an Associate Faculty member will be using their email account and would like to retain email older than 120 days, submit an online Help Desk request, including all other pertinent details along with a telephone number for contact.
These standards are in support of Administrative Procedure 6450 and in no way determine eligibility.
Per Administrative Procedure 6450: Mobile Communication Devices and Cellular Phones, the Academic Information Services (AIS) department is responsible for establishing technical standards for cell phones that need to communicate with the District’s e-mail system. Currently, supported devices will be listed on the District’s website. AIS will annually review and add appropriate devices as they enter the marketplace. Devices that meet the following minimum standards will be added:
(1) ability to remotely wipe data
(2) ability to support administrative policies, including District passcode policy enforcement, and
(3) ability to securely transmit mail, calendar information, and contacts
Supported devices as of 01/28/09:
3G or newer
3.0 or newer
Any current model
4.5 or newer
Any provider – Blackberry Enterprise Server -Data Plan
|Motorola, HTC Android OS smartphone||Any||
OS Version 2.1 or newer
Questions – Please contact Steve Schultz, Technical Services Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently, Academic Information Services (AIS) provides information technology services to the following auxiliary entities:
However, only maintenance of currently installed phone services and maintenance of current data network connections are provided free of charge. In some cases, these entities request adds, moves, and changes to current phone services and computer support services for personal computers that go beyond the contractual arrangements. This document details under what conditions AIS will provide those additional services.
AIS will provide the following services on a per instance fee-for-service model:
- Network problems on the desktop computer (that is, ones that are not a product of a problem with the networking connection provided by MiraCosta)
- Personal computer desktop support (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Phone/fax/modem lines adds, moves, and changes (we have no expertise to deal with fax machines themselves or computer printers)
- Information from Administrative Systems in AIS
AIS will not provide information or service on non-personal computer systems owned or operated by the auxiliary entities, such as the UNIX point-of-sale system in the bookstore or the cash registers in the bookstore. MiraCosta’s labor fee for computer-related or network-related services will be $75 per hour. MiraCosta AIS will inform the auxiliary entities at the beginning of the fiscal year of changes in these charges, which will remain in effect for the entire fiscal year. MiraCosta’s labor fee for adding telephone-related services will be $95 per hour. MiraCosta AIS will inform the auxiliary entities at the beginning of the fiscal year of these charges, which will remain in effect for the entire fiscal year. In addition, when AIS deems it necessary to contract with Pacific Bell, TelComTec, or Mitel to provide services AIS is unable to perform, the standard rates these companies charge MiraCosta will be added to the cost of doing business with the auxiliary entities. These charges will be added to the invoice in each instance, where necessary. In addition to the costs mentioned in points 4 and 5, the auxiliary entity will be responsible for purchase requests and payment of any parts or equipment associated with the request, such as telephone handsets, computers, monitors, cables, and printers. When the auxiliary entity calls upon a commercial vendor to service equipment owned by the auxiliary entity and not under the service agreement with MiraCosta, the entity will notify MiraCosta of service being done and will be responsible for paying for any work MiraCosta AIS must do to correct a disruption in service to the MiraCosta network as a result of the commercial vendor’s work. The charges for work that AIS must do to fix service disruption caused by a vendor working on auxiliary entity data or voice equipment will be $250 per hour. At the end of each fiscal year, MiraCosta AIS and representatives of each auxiliary entity will meet to discuss any changes that need to be made to this policy.
Procedure for requesting service and making payments:
- When an auxiliary entity needs network, computer, or telephone service from AIS, a representative will call the Help Desk at extension 6800, providing as much detailed information as possible.
- Within 24 hours the appropriate AIS technician will make contact with the auxiliary entity representative and together they will establish a due date.
- In a timeline to be determined by the workload of the AIS staff member, he or she will make an estimate of the approximate time such a service request will take and will estimate the charge to the entity.
- AIS promises to act in good faith to resolve the problem or provide the service requested in as little time as possible, keeping a close log of the time spent working on the request.
- At the beginning of the fiscal year, each entity should establish an open Purchase Order with AIS, with a not to exceed cost for the year of $2000, and perhaps a not to exceed per instance cost of $500.
- Following the resolution of each problem or service provided, the AIS technician will forward to the Help Desk a notification of "closed service request" with an itemization of the costs of labor and parts/equipment.
- Upon receipt of the notification of "closed service request" the Help Desk will forward copies of the invoice to accounts payable and to the auxiliary entity. Accounts payable will forward the appropriate paperwork to accounts receivable.
- Accounts receivable will bill the auxiliary entity for services performed.
The auxiliary entity will then forward payment to accounts receivable. Failure of the auxiliary entity to make timely payments (within 45 days) may result in AIS discontinuing service to that entity.