Employee Password Information
Employee passwords expired Tuesday, March 25, 2014. All employees are required to change their passwords in order to access District network resources including (wired and wireless) including SURF, MiraCosta email, Blackboard (including the faculty Blackboard student account), ILINX, Moodle, sFTP, 25Live,TracDat, PeopleSoft Financials, and Library digital resources. Passwords for EduStream, SARS-GRID or WebCMS are not affected by this expiration; see section below, Passwords for Other Systems, for more information about changing these passwords.
Instructions for Changing Passwords
- 1 - Determine your new confidential password
See Password Requirements and Recommendations (following sections) and design your new confidential password -- write it down.
- 2 - Enable Pop-ups
Ensure that pop-ups are enabled in the browser. (MAC users: it's recommended to use Firefox or Chrome).
- 3 - Login to the Password Management System https://pw.miracosta.edu/Staff
Click the link above and a new window will open. Enter your Surf ID (your user name, for example: gjetson) into the field for Staff/Faculty Active Directory. Click Continue. If you see Authentication Methods, select Use Password. This is where you will also change your faculty Blackboard student account by logging in with that particular login ID (for example: gjetson-student).
- 4 - Enter your current (not new) password
On the Verify Password page, enter your current password. Click Verify password. After three failed attempts, the system will temporarily lock -- wait approximately ten minutes and try again. If this does not resolve your situation, refer to the troubleshooting steps (shown below) prepared for this process.
- 5 - Change your password
On the Password Management System Menu page, click Change Passwords. Enter your new password into the two fields. Click Change Passwords.
- 6 - After successfully changing your password
Click the door icon to logout. If you were logged into your workstation (for on-campus users), logout now -- you must login with your new password to ensure that your workstation does not try to use your old password to access network resources. For off-campus users, exit the system by clicking the door icon in the upper-right corner.
- 7 - Test your new password
Login to a college networked resource (onsite computer Windows login, Outlook Web Access, SURF, Blackboard) to test your new password.
If you have issues with this process, troubleshoot before calling the Help Desk; your situation can most likely be resolved with minor adjustments to your browser's settings.
- must have at least 8 characters
- must have both upper and lower case characters
- must have at least 2 letters
- must have at least 1 digit
- cannot be the same as any of the last ten (10) passwords
- can be the same as your employee accounts' password (i.e., SURF, email, Blackboard)
- must only contain characters available on a standard English (U.S.) keyboard. (*Valid characters)
- cannot be the Surf ID nor user's real name
- cannot be the Surf ID or user's real name backwards
- cannot contain the Surf ID nor user's real name
- cannot contain the Surf ID nor user's real name backwards
- cannot be the Surf ID nor user's real name rearranged
- cannot contain spaces (but may use the space character _ ) or,
- cannot have more than 2 pairs of repeating characters
- Valid characters* are restricted to the set of characters which can be typed on a standard English
- Space ( _ ) character
- should include at least 16 characters
- be a passphrase rather than a password (write a full sentence for your password); be sure to misspell a word or two!
In accordance to the District's Security Plan, employee passwords are administratively expired twice each year, once during each Spring and Fall semesters. Contact the Employee Technology Help Desk (https://portal.miracosta.edu/) with any questions or issues about the employee password reset process (email@example.com, 760.795.6850 or x6850).
Passwords for Other Systems
The following passwords are NOT synchronized with your SURF/Email/Windows/Blackboard accounts and must be changed separately from the above password process:
- Launch SARS-GRID
- Enter the username -- do NOT enter your password. Instead, type change and press Enter.
- You will then be prompted to change your password.
Contact Yesenia Balcazar (firstname.lastname@example.org, 760 757-2121, x6340) with any questions and/or issues about SARS-GRID.