The Teaching / Technology Innovation Center
Welcome to the Teaching / Technology Innovation Center at MiraCosta College. We are located in the Library Information HUB on the Oceanside campus, room 1253 A & B.
- Join us for our upcoming online workshop on 3C Media for Faculty and Staff. Learn how you can upload audio and video for students to view within Blackboard that is stored on the 3C Media streaming servers. Content stored on 3CMedia servers can also be displayed on course websites, blogs, or other learning management systems. [More Information]
- TIC 1253 B Room Scheduling - The main area of the TIC is drop in; however the space located in HUB 1253 B can be reserved for audio/video recording, meetings, and events. The room can hold about 15 people comfortably. If you are interested in reserving time in the TIC, review the calendar and then login to R25 to book the space. For more information contact Karen Korstad at firstname.lastname@example.org .
MiraCosta's Blackboard system was updated by AIS over the winter break. We are now on Blackboard 9.1, service pack 13. Significant new and improved features include:
- Test Availability Exceptions & Feedback Options: Set up exceptions to test availability settings for a student or groups of students – great for DSPS accommodations. New test feedback options automate the process of releasing feedback when you want students to have it, including once a test is no longer available or after grading is complete. Website on all new Bb test features | Video (5:49) on new test features | PDF on test availability exceptions
- Test Access Log: View a detailed list of every interaction that students engage in when taking a test. Video (4:22) | Website
- Date Management: Easily adjust course activity dates after a course copy. Video (3:46) | Website
- Groups Management: More easily manage student group membership and grading. Avatars also are visible in groups now. Video (2:45) | Website
- Achievements: A brand new feature providing a way to recognize student achievements through badges. Video (2:24) | Website
Workshops will be available during Flex week online and on campus to discuss these new features along with Blackboard's other most important tools. We will also have a workshop that will go in depth on the Blackboard test/quiz features.
Additional Blackboard Features
Explore the updates & features that were available starting in Fall 2013 with our Blackboard 9.1, service pack 11 update.
- New Content Editor -handles copied-in HTML code much more effectively The new editor also better handles copy-and-paste from Microsoft Word, makes it even easier to add/link to multimedia content, and more!
(video (3:59) | PDF comparing old and new editors)
- Video everywhere: add quick webcam recordings or existing YouTube videos easily
(video (4:33) | PDF)
- Inline assignment grading: enabling you to view, mark up, and grade student work without downloading and reuploading files
(video (1:53) | video (8:51) | website)
- Retention Center: A "retention center" making it easy to identify and contact students needing your support (video (4:30) | website)
- Global Navigation Menu: A new global navigation menu and "my Blackboard" consolidating info from all courses into one place and enabling easy course-to-course navigation anytime
(video (3:40) | website)
- Profile: A new profile feature making Blackboard more friendly, with users able to add an image/avatar that can help create personal identity/presence throughout your Blackboard courses
(video (2:46) | website)
- Test Question Updates:
- "Contains" and pattern-matching capability for fill-in-the-blank test/quiz questions (video (3:16) - covers "contains" but not patterns | website explains pattern-matching)
- Item Analysis Item analysis tools to examine the effectiveness of your test questions (video (5:00) | website)
Common Blackboard Tasks for the Start of the Semester
Set Course Availability
Make sure your Blackboard courses are available to your students. If you do not complete this, your students will not be able to access your courses. Watch a tutorial or follow the simple steps below.
- After accessing the course in Blackboard, scroll down to the Control Panel area at bottom left
- Click on Customization
- Click on Properties
- In the Set Availability area, select Yes
- Click Submit
Watch a video that shows you how to copy Blackboard course content from a previous semester course to a current semester course, or simply follow these steps:
- Enter the course that has the content (i.e. the previous or old semester course)
- On the Control Panel, under Packages and Utilities, click Course Copy
- Select Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course
- Click the Browse button and select the course you would like to copy the content to. (i.e. the new or upcoming semester course)
- Select the Course Materials that you want to copy over to the new semester course. (if in doubt take everything)
- Click Submit
Do this only 1 time! Course copies may take a while to complete. DO NOT work on your course again until you receive the e-mail that says the course copy is complete.
Update the my Courses Module Display
- After logging into Blackboard, hover above the right corner of the My Courses module
- Then click on the Gear icon located in the top right hand corner of the my Courses Module (on the right hand side of the page)
- Use the left up and down arrows to drag and drop the courses to the order you would like.
- Click the Submit button.
If you have any questions, please let contact Karen Korstad: 760.795.6787 or email@example.com
Need Help with your MCC Login / Password
Contact the Employee Helpdesk at 760-795-6850 for assistance with your MiraCosta College Login and Password. Your MCC Login and Password will allow you access to our most popular MCC faculty computer systems - SURF, Blackboard, and your E-mail.
MiraCosta College Technology Resources
MiraCosta College has online teaching tools available to faculty. Blackboard, Elluminate Live!, Edustream, LecShare Pro, Respondus, Turnitin.com, and Grademark are just a few. Please refer to the following two links to view more information about the available campus teaching technologies.