The Teaching / Technology Innovation Center
The Teaching / Technology Innovation Center is located in the library information HUB on the Oceanside campus, room 1253. Below are quick Blackboard tutorials especially useful at the beginning of the semester. See Blackboard Faculty Resources for many more.
New for Summer 2013
Bb 9.1 service pack (SP) 11 is coming May 24th. We will be upgrading the server between the hours of 8 am to 5pm. After that you will be able to explore the new updates and features described below.
- New Content Editor -handles copied-in HTML code much more effectively The new editor also better handles copy-and-paste from Microsoft Word, makes it even easier to add/link to multimedia content, and more!
(video (3:59) | PDF comparing old and new editors)
- Video everywhere: add quick webcam recordings or existing YouTube videos easily (video (4:33) | PDF)
- Discussion Board Tool Upgrade: Significant improvements and new features in the discussion board tool (video (1:20) | video (8:04) | website)
- Inline assignment grading: enabling you to view, mark up, and grade student work without downloading and reuploading files (video (1:53) | video (8:51) | website)
- Retention Center: A "retention center" making it easy to identify and contact students needing your support (video (4:30) | website)
- Calendar: A completely redesigned calendar (video (1:24) | video (3:12) | website)
- Global Navigation Menu: A new global navigation menu and "my Blackboard" consolidating info from all courses into one place and enabling easy course-to-course navigation anytime (video (3:40) | website)
- Profile: A new profile feature making Blackboard more friendly, with users able to add an image/avatar that can help create personal identity/presence throughout your Blackboard courses (video (2:46) | website)
- Test Question Updates:
Common Blackboard Tasks for the Start of the Semester
Set Course Availability
Make sure your Blackboard courses are available to your students. If you do not complete this, your students will not be able to access your courses. Watch a tutorial or follow the simple steps below.
- After accessing the course in Blackboard, scroll down to the Control Panel area at bottom left
- Click on Customization
- Click on Properties
- In the Set Availability area, select Yes
- Click Submit
Watch a video that shows you how to copy Blackboard course content from a previous semester course to a current semester course, or simply follow these steps:
- Enter the course that has the content (i.e. the previous or old semester course)
- On the Control Panel, under Packages and Utilities, click Course Copy
- Select Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course
- Click the Browse button and select the course you would like to copy the content to. (i.e. the new or upcoming semester course)
- Select the Course Materials that you want to copy over to the new semester course. (if in doubt take everything)
- Click Submit
Do this only 1 time! Course copies may take a while to complete. DO NOT work on your course again until you receive the e-mail that says the course copy is complete.
Update the my Courses Module Display
- After logging into Blackboard, hover above the right corner of the My Courses module
- Then click on the Gear icon located in the top right hand corner of the my Courses Module (on the right hand side of the page)
- Use the left up and down arrows to drag and drop the courses to the order you would like.
- Click the Submit button.
If you have any questions, please let contact Karen Korstad: 760.795.6787 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Blackboard
Need Help with your MCC Login / Password
Contact the Employee Helpdesk at 760-795-6850 for assistance with your MiraCosta College Login and Password. Your MCC Login and Password will allow you access to our most popular MCC faculty computer systems - SURF, Blackboard, and your E-mail.
TIC 1253 B Room Scheduling
The main area of the TIC is drop in; however the space located in HUB 1253 B can be reserved for audio/video recording, meetings, and events. The room can hold about 15 people comfortably. If you are interested in reserving time in the TIC, review the calendar and then contact Karen Korstad at email@example.com to book your reservation.
MiraCosta College Technology Resources
MiraCosta College has online teaching tools available to faculty. Blackboard, Elluminate Live!, Edustream, LecShare Pro, Respondus, Turnitin.com, and Grademark are just a few. Please refer to the following two links to view more information about the available campus teaching technologies.