Teach Internships or Co-op
Internships & Cooperative Work Experience Education are designed to provide MiraCosta students with workplace experience and new skills. These programs offer business, industry, and organizations the talents and energy of students who not only contribute to workforce development but strengthen the link between the educational and business communities.
- Serves as the teacher of record and faculty mentor for the enrolled student. (This is an additional teaching assignment).
- Develops workplace learning objectives with the student and signs the Training Agreement with the internship site supervisor.
- Meets with the student twice during the semester at the worksite.
- Reviews the student's work, evaluates accomplishment of learning objectives, verifies that required hours have been completed, assigns a grade, and documents SLO's.
- Completes a Faculty Mentor Orientation.
- Finds an internship. See available opportunities in CareerPoint (guest access: username: gstudent, password: w1234567) or come to the Career Center.
- Develops workplace learning objectives with the instructor.
- Meets with the instructor at the internship site twice during the semester. (At the beginning of the internship and at the end of the semester)
- Completes monthly hours reports on Blackboard verifying time worked. For each unit of credit, students must intern a minimum of 60 non-paid hours or 75 paid hours.
- Completes required assignments.
- Adheres to the program requirements as outlined in the Syllabus.
- Submits assignments and monthly hours reports via Blackboard. Please contact the Student Help Desk or the Career Center if you need assistance.
- Completes the Student Orientation.
- Provides a learning environment and appropriate tasks for the student.
- Offers training and guidance to the student.
- Meets with the student's instructor at the beginning and end of the semester to set goals and to evaluate the student's progress.
- Verifies that required hours have been completed by the student.
- Complies with expectations outlined in the Employer Letter (PDF).