Business Essentials Training
MiraCosta’s Contract Education Department can help your business improve its bottom line. We can meet your needs for workforce training with programs that are performance-oriented and directly linked to your organization's strategic goals. These trainings are customized to fit YOUR needs. If you don’t see a course or type of training listed here that you want, give us a call. We have instructors/trainers capable of teaching nearly every subject matter useful to your business. Just ask!
Concise Business Writing
Learn a three step writing process to ensure reader centricity and maximum effectiveness. Students are introduced to a number of tools and techniques that promote clarity of ideas:
- Recognize the components of a well written document
- Describe the three steps of the writing process
- Clearly state writing objective relative to reader’s need(s)
- Use specific writing techniques (buffers, bullets, sub-headings, supporting data, reiteration, etc.)
- Identify editing steps
Throughout our lives, we experience an enormous number of conflicts. Most of these conflicts are based on miscommunication, misunderstanding, cultural differences, poor choice of language, ineffective behavior and false expectations. These conflicts can negatively impact the workplace by reducing productivity and morale, increasing litigation, occupying significant time and resources and losing valuable employees. Managers spend a significant amount of their time resolving staff disputes. If managed well, conflict helps the team generate new ideas and become more productive. This workshop provides participants with a better understanding of the various ways we deal with conflict and the participant’s own conflict management style. Participants learn how to turn conflict into positive energy and productivity and about practical tools and techniques to help resolve conflict before it escalates.
- Identify your own conflict style
- Examine the 5 different styles people use to handle conflict
- Identify when to use each style for best results
- Identify effective techniques for communicating with others in conflict
- Practice resolving conflict with your team using a five-step process
- Develop a personal action plan to improve skills in resolving conflict
Dealing with Difficult People & Conflict Resolution
Find out how to deal with employee complaints and difficult employee interactions. Topics covered include:
- Identifying the 10 difficult personalities types and how to work with them
- Understanding different working styles
- Strategies for separating personal and organizational problems
- Using communication skills to defuse potential blow-ups
- How to control your own emotions in conflict situations
- Ten basic tips for handling conflict situations
Developing Effective Teams
More than anything else, working effectively means learning to work as a team. Topics covered in this module include:
- Team dynamics – stages of team development
- Tools for building high productivity teams
- Brainstorming techniques
- How to conduct productive meetings
- Strategies for decision-making
- Working with different personality types
Time & Stress Management
Your success often depends on how well you manage your own time and stress. This module includes:
- Learning to control time waster
- Techniques for prioritizing & overcoming distractions
- Exploring Covey’s techniques for time management
- How to help your employees be better time managers
- Dealing with organizational stress
- Relaxation techniques you can use on the job
This training will identify potential stumbling blocks in communication based on cultural, age or gender differences. The participant will explore effective verbal and non-verbal communication techniques that will help them reduce cultural misunderstandings with the goal of creating a harmonious and productive work environment. Participants will be able to:
- Effectively deliver their messages to a multigenerational and multicultural team.
- Identify how misunderstandings can occur in cross-cultural communication and develop strategies to avoid them.
- Create messages that are respectful of cultural differences so that your message has the potential to be heard as you intended.
Ethics of Leadership
As leaders, we must be able to evaluate our own ethics and create a culture of ethics within our own organization. In this training, we will examine ethical dilemmas facing leaders, explore the top factors causing leaders to compromise their ethics and identify important ways to become a more ethical leader.
- Identify the range of ethical and unethical behaviors
- Develop an understanding of ethical dilemmas
- Avoid major reasons for compromising ethics as a leader
- Target important ethical leadership behaviors
Nowadays supervisors are assuming the roles of coach and facilitator to enable their employees to do their best work. Being a facilitator requires a unique blend of skills. Topics covered in this module include:
- Facilitation as a style of leadership
- Three dimensions of success
- How to facilitate for agreement
- Designing successful action plans with employees
- Coaching for better performance
Managing Organizational Change
This is one of our most requested trainings. Participants learn strategies to more effectively deal with change while using tools and techniques to differentiate between “change” and “transition.” Participants identify their own difficulties with change and gain a better understanding how and why their team often resists change. Valuable change management tools and techniques are provided for participants to take back to their workplace.
- Describe the difference between change, transition and resonance
- Identify the three phases of transition and know when you are in each stage
- Examine the 7 principles for dealing successfully with transition
- Define the nature and experience of the “neutral zone” and how to get through it safely and creatively
- Learn strategies to effectively manage the experience of constant change
- Develop a personal action plan to help yourself and your team manage change
One of the most important qualities that a supervisor can develop is the ability to coach. Coaching requires managers to establish performance expectations, clearly communicate these expectations, objectively evaluate performance, take notice of good work, and when necessary take corrective action to close any performance gaps. This class will provide a step-by-step approach to coaching that will enable you to bring out the best in your people and do so in a consistent and productive way.
- Identify characteristics of an effective coach.
- Develop performance expectations and communicate them to employees.
- Recognize good work habits and develop methods of praising employees.
- Develop methods for approaching employees to correct poor personal habits.
- Use the 2 minute challenge to correct poor work habits.
- Recognize side tracks and develop methods to address them.
Outlines a four-step process to effectively oversee projects of all sizes. This hands-on course gives students the opportunity to experience the various tools and techniques of project management as they work through a fictitious project in small groups. Topics covered include:
- Create a project plan
- Describe the components of a project charter
- Use various tools to monitor the progress of the project
- Close out the project successfully