College for Kids / Youth Academy
We know that 8th to 11th grade students are often looking for something interesting to do during the summer. It is for this reason that MiraCosta College has created a highly interactive, challenging, yet fun place for teens to come and learn. We have carefully crafted the types of activities that engage student's minds and imagination while introducing them to a taste of college life. Our Youth Academy is taught by excellent instructors who are passionate about their topic and look forward to spending a week or two sharing their enthusiasm with young adults. Try a few of the classes to experience the rich variety of offerings.
For students entering 8th – 11th grade in Fall 2013. Different classes every week.
Morning classes run from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Afternoon classes run from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Sign up for one or multiple sessions!
- Session #1: June 24 - 28, 2013 San Elijo Campus
- Session #2: July 1 - 5, 2013 San Elijo Campus (no class July
- Session #3 July 8- 12, 2013 San Elijo Campus
- Session #4: July 15- 19, 2013 Oceanside Campus
- Session #5: July 22-26, 2013 Oceanside Campus
- Session #6 July 29- August 2, 2013 Oceanside Campus
NEW Classes & Grade Ranges:
- PSAT/SAT Prep Class. We've added another class to run at the Oceanside Campus on July 29-August 2, from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Ace of Cakes and Sewing for Teens has expanded their grade range to 7th-11th grade.
- 3D Computer Game Development has expanded its grade range to 7th-10th grade.
FREE College Readiness Presentation Series!
Available for all students who have enrolled in a MiraCosta College Youth Academy course. These sessions are from 12-1 p.m., for students and/or parents. Learn valuable college admissions information. Prizes and a raffle for a free college counseling session!
College Admissions 101
- An overview of high school graduation and college admission requirements
- A test taking timeline and overview of various standardized tests (PSAT, PLAN, SAT, SAT subject tests, ACT, and AP testing)
- College admission requirements for private, out-of-state, California State University and University of California schools
College Admissions 101 meets on June 28th at the San Elijo Campus and on July 18th at the Oceanside Campus.
Building Your Resume
- Tips to help students stand out amongst his/her peers
- Local resource list of enrichment programs, leadership and community service
- Template provided for creating a resume
- Provide sample of a college application (Common Application) as an example of extracurricular activity information needed to share with colleges
- Organization tools to help students keep awards, extracurricular activities and community service hours documented
Building Your Resume meets on July 5th at the San Elijo Campus and on July 26th at the Oceanside Campus.
- Overview of financial aid offerings
- Discuss strategies to reduce your family's college expenses
- Tips on how to estimate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Through the FAFSA, schools use the EFC to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.
Funding College meets on July 12th at the San Elijo Campus and on August 2nd at the Oceanside Campus.
PRESENTER: Jennifer MacLure stays on the forefront of current and innovative trends incollege admissions counselingand education. With over six years experience as the Director of College Counseling at a local independent school in San Diego and as an Independent College Consultant for My Pathway to College, Jennifer provides grade-level counselors, students, and parents with advice, resources, and support. Jennifer’s innate ability to connect with students and guide them in selecting colleges to match their needs, shined through year after year as each senior obtained admission to universities and colleges of their choice. With her strong college admissions knowledge, extensive contacts within the field, and ability to connect with students and families, she is adept at easing anxiety throughout the admissions process.
Jennifer received her Masters Degree in Counseling and School Counseling Credential from the University of San Diego and her College Counseling Certificate from UC San Diego. For more information about Jennifer and her counseling services please visit: www.mypathwaytocollege.com.