ONLINE DRIVER EDUCATION
California DMV-Approved Online Driver Education
Meet Your Learner's Permit Requirements!
Once you have completed your online Driver Education course you will need to schedule your permit test. You must have an appointment to take your test. You can schedule your appointment on the DMV website www.dmv.ca.gov. After you pass your permit test, you can call 760-231-1221 to register for your behind-the-wheel training. All students under the age of 17 1/2 must complete a 6 hour behind-the-wheel course with a DMV licensed instructor before you start driving with a parent, guardian or licensed driver over the age of 25. Your instructor will sign your permit after your first lesson to validate your permit. Behind-the-wheel training fee is $300 for 17 and under. $323 for 18 and over.
Tech Support: Monday-Friday 9:00 am -5:00 pm. Telephone: (510) 848-5508
To request a lost or stolen certificate for online Driver Education: http://miracostacollege.courseinstruction.com/course/register/2
How to apply for a provisional permit if you are under 18
To apply for a provisional permit, you will need the following:
- Be at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age.
- Make an appointment before visiting a DMV office (walk-ins are only accepted at our Driver License Processing Centers).
- Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44). An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.
- Have your parents' or guardians' signatures on the application form DL 44.
- Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
- Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license). If your current name no longer matches the name on your BP/LP document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.
- Present your acceptable residency documents if you have never had a California driver license or California identification card.
- Submit the proper form(s) for driver education and/or driver training classes (See below for details.)
- Give a fingerprint.
- Pay the application fee. (This fee entitles you to three tests of any type within the 12-month period and pays for both the instruction permit and the driver license. If all requirements are not met within the 12-month period, the application becomes void and all steps must be completed again.)
- Pass a vision exam.
- Give your fingerprint again, provide your signature (that will appear on the driver license), and have your picture taken.
- Pass a knowledge test. There are 46 questions on the test. A passing score is at least 38 correct answers. You have three chances to pass the test. If you fail, you must wait 7 days before taking it again.
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing, DMV will not be administering knowledge tests after 4:30 p.m.