- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Choose MiraCosta College
- Transfer Agreements
- Pictures of ELI Students in San Diego
- Meet our International Student Bloggers
- WHAT ARE THE PREREQUISITES TO ATTEND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE?
- WHO CAN ATTEND MIRACOSTA COLLEGE'S ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE?
- WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT MIRACOSTA COLLEGE'S ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE?
- HOW LONG IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE PROGRAM?
- HOW MANY 8 WEEK SESSIONS DO WE OFFER PER YEAR?
- WHAT DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES CAN I GET BY GOING TO MIRACOSTA COLLEGE?
- WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY I-20?
- CAN I TAKE REGULAR COLLEGE COURSES WHILE IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE CLASSES?
- IS ACADEMIC ADVISING AVAILABLE?
- HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO LEARN ENGLISH?
- WHAT COLLGE FACILITIES CAN I USE WHILE I AM AT MIRACOSTA COLLEGE?
- B-1/B-2 VISITORS
WHAT ARE THE PREREQUISITES TO ATTEND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE?
This program is for students who:
- Are in the U.S. on an F-1, B1/B2, M visa, K visa, L visa or residents (see policy below) and are at least 18 years old (See Minor Policy on "Steps to Apply" page)
- Have a minimum of one year English language training at the high school or college level
- Want TOEFL test preparation or have not yet passed the TOEFL. Students who have less than a 46 ibt or 450 paper-based TOEFL score.
WHO CAN ATTEND MIRACOSTA COLLEGE'S ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE?
- International students
- International visitors here for cultural or enrichment purposes (See
- Adults and professionals
- Students who want to improve their English for travel, work, or international communication
- Students who want to attend college or university in the USA
- Are admitted or "conditionally" admitted to MiraCosta College
- Are on study abroad programs at MiraCosta College
WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT MIRACOSTA COLLEGE'S ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE?
- Highest UC transfer rate in San Diego
- Official TOEFL test is NOT required to enter the credit program (We offer the Institutional TOEFL for our ELI students. Students must get above 450 to take MiraCosta College Placement Test)
- Small class sizes
- Reasonable fees with individualized attention
- Full access to college campus facilities and activities
- College teachers who are professionally trained to teach ESL
- Safe environment
- Beautiful campus and classrooms
- Best weather in the world!
HOW LONG IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE PROGRAM?
Our sessions are 8 weeks long. Many of our students stay for multiple sessions before transferring into the regular MiraCosta credit classes. It is also possible to attend BOTH our credit classes and our English Language Institute classes if students wish to continue practicing basic English language acquisition. If you find that you can no attend the full 8 weeks, please let us know and we will work with you to set up a program that fits your schedule at a pro-rated price.
HOW MANY 8 WEEK SESSIONS DO WE OFFER PER YEAR?
We offer 5 sessions each year. All sessions are 8 weeks long.
WHAT DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES CAN I GET BY GOING TO MIRACOSTA COLLEGE?
Programs of interest to our International Students:
- Business Management
- Computer Science
- Graphic Design
- Web Programming and Design
- And many more... (Click here to see all degrees)
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY I-20?
A: MiraCosta's International Office can issue an I-20 Form about 1 week after we receive your complete application. A complete application includes:
- application form
- application fee
- financial documentation (if you need an F-1 visa)
CAN I TAKE REGULAR COLLEGE COURSES WHILE IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE CLASSES?
Yes!. You need to get special permission from the International Office.
IS ACADEMIC ADVISING AVAILABLE?
Yes it is. In every eight-week session, we offer academic counseling and guidance on career choices to qualified students who want to apply MiraCosta College or other colleges or universities in the United States. Students are invited for advising, and they can make additional appointments with the Director of the International Perspectives Office.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO LEARN ENGLISH?
Students learn English at different rates, depending on how much they study and practice their English proficiency. Serious and hard-working students who participate fully in class work and extracurricular language development options improve their English language proficiency quickly and can often qualify to move on to credit classes right after the very first eight-week English Language Institute. However, some students need to attend two or three sessions of the ELI before moving into the credit class program.
WHAT COLLEGE FACILITIES CAN I USE WHILE I AM AT MIRACOSTA COLLEGE?
Students have access to college computer labs, the library, the cafeteria, and the health center. Our International students can also participate in college organizations and activities.
WHAT IF I AM TRAVELING TO THE UNITED STATES ON A VISITOR B/1 OR B/2 VISA?
The English Language Institute accepts visitors who want to take ESL classes for cultural or enrichment purposes only. Visitors may only attend enrichment and cultural classes short term for under 16 hours per week. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and enrichment schedule.
Why Choose MiraCosta College
- MiraCosta has an intensive English Language program for international students who need more English preparation before they begin their degree programs. This program is also for students who simply wish to improve their English for other purposes.
- Our class sizes are small (average 12-16).
- Our program is offered five times throughout the year. Each session is eight weeks long and you may combine sessions for a longer stay. Each session provides 20 hours per week of instruction. Classes are held Monday-Thursday 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:000 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Our classes are held on the MiraCosta College campus. Students have access to college facilities, including computer labs, library, health center, and participation in organizations and activities.
- Our classes include TOEFL preparation (new internet-based), integrated academic preparation in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar. We also offer study of United States culture, computer literacy and development of study skills.
- We have energetic, highly trained instructors with Masters Degrees. Many of them have taught over-seas.
- We have a full-service international student office with advisors. These advisors will help you with all immigration documents. They also help students plan their classes and education to ensure successful transfer into MiraCosta credit classes or other California colleges and universities.
- Students are encouraged to attend college sponsored events such as our International Conversation Cafe, culture festivals, International Club and much more!
- Certificates are awarded at the end of each session. A celebration luncheon is held and sponsored by MiraCosta.
- The College is only a few minutes from the beach and 35 miles north of the city of San Diego. The area offers easy access to many attractions and activities
Pictures of ELI Students in San Diego
Transfer Admission Guarantee Programs
Guaranteed admission programs are available to UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz. In addition, a preferred admission program is in place for UCLA*. (* The UCLA program is for MiraCosta Honors Scholar students only).
Honors Scholar Program
Students who participate in the Honors Scholar Program will be eligible for a transfer admission guarantee or priority consideration for admission to many colleges and universities who are participating in the Honors Transfer Council of California. Consult the Honors Scholar Program counselor in the Transfer Center for details.
The MiraCosta College Transfer Center
Is dedicated to making the transfer process as easy and efficient as possible. Visit us for complete information about our services.
Counseling Appointments: Two full-time counselors are available to assist you with all your transfer needs. They will prepare an educational plan to guide you in course selection. Drop-in counseling is available several times throughout each week for quick questions regarding transfer.
Allows students to enroll for one course each semester at a CSU or each quarter at a UC campus without paying tuition or fees (a nominal charge is paid for processing). A great opportunity for the student who has completed most of the lower-division requirements for transfer or who needs a lower-division course not offered at MiraCosta. Information is available in the Transfer Center. Applications are obtained from Admissions & Records.