Transportation / Home Stay Services
Housing is the responsibility of the individual student and/or sponsor. MiraCosta College does not provide dormitories or college-approved housing for students. Below are listed some web sites and phone numbers of companies/organizations that can assist you with planning your arrival to San Diego County. MiraCosta College assumes no responsibility and has no knowledge of the condition of housing advertised or the character/reputation of those seeking housing.
Home Stay Services
- Homestay Services International - If you are interested in participating in a homestay program you may contact Homestay Services International at P.O. Box 402, Spring Valley, CA 91976, USA. Tel. 619/461-4764, Fax. 619/670-3397.
- Y.E.S. International - 7920 Arjons Drive, Suite E. San Diego 92126 619-501-7953 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.yesatmiracostaca.com/services
Other Resources for Housing
- Local area apartments (detailed list of apartments with 1-10 miles of MiraCosta College)
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce web site offers information on accommodations, transportation, local attractions, tours, area map, etc. In this web site you can also get information on temporary housing (hotels/motels) options.
- San Diego READER magazine web site will provide you with information on roommates, rentals, cars, etc.
- MiraCosta College Student Housing
- http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Oceanside,CA/ Trulia Oceanside apartment rental page with over 160 listings and in-depth neighborhood information
- http://www.zillow.com/Oceanside-ca/apartments/ Zillow Oceanside apartment rental page
Finding housing is an important step for new students. What should you consider before making a housing decision?
Step 1: Consider your budget
Host family A typical cost to stay with a host family is:
- $650-$750 per month for a single room
- $100 per month for personal food
- $50 -$150 per month for some expenses like internet or other personal services
Private apartments and homes A typical apartment costs:
- $1000-$2000 per month for one/two bedrooms (most apartments are NOT furnished)
- $200 per month for utilities like electricity, heat, water, internet
- $200 + per month for food
*Nearly all housing will require a bus pass or private car to travel to school and shopping. A bus pass is currently $49 per month for MiraCosta College students.
Step 2: Decide how you will handle arriving to the United States
Finding the right housing option will be difficult from long distance. Finding an apartment, signing a rental contract, and deciding an appropriate location to live can take months. A homestay services can provide an immediate housing option and provide airport pickup from San Diego. If you would like to live with a host family either temporarily or permanently you can contact the following resources:
- Homestay Services International at Tel. 619/461-4764, Fax. 619/670-339
- Y.E.S. ESL International, Inc. at 619/450-4675 or email at email@example.com
Step 3: Learn about the neighborhoods around MiraCosta College
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce web site offers information on relocation to the Oceanside area, local attractions, and area map, etc. You can also get information on temporary housing (hotels/motels) options. Use 92056 zip code to locate hotels/motels that are close to our Oceanside campus.
- Discover the cities and communities around MiraCosta campuses:
Step 4: Learn more about housing options
- MiraCosta Housing Information Online The Student Activities Office maintains an online service for students and community members wanting to find or advertise housing opportunities. Like all housing MiraCosta College assumes no responsibility and has no knowledge of the condition of housing advertised or the character/reputation of those seeking housing.
- Review the apartment list compiled by former international students.
- Review this helpful guide for International Student Housing information.
Step 5: Understand rental contract and other matters
To rent an apartment or a room from a private home, you are required to sign a lease (rental contract) for 6 months to one year. Before signing a least, you should ask appropriate questions to understand what your responsibilities are as a renter.
Roommate is like a business partner. You need to know someone well enough to trust them to pay bills, respect your belongings and yourself. Before committing to a roommate, you should ask how rent and expenses will be divided and how they are paid. When living in an apartment, you should expect to pay for all furniture and possible moving expenses. Besides rent, you should expect to pay for electricity, water/trash pickup, cleaning supplies, and other shared expenses.
Hotels near MiraCosta College
- The Oceanside Chamber of Commerce has a list of local hotels.
- Make sure you make the hotel reservation before arriving in Oceanside.
The list below has information for 5 hotels/motels located near MiraCosta College
- Motel 6
3708 Plaza Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056
- Extended Stay America
3190 Vista Way, Oceanside, CA 92056
- Holiday Day Inn Express
3170 Vista Way, Oceanside, CA 92056
- Super 8 Marty's Valley Inn
3240 East Mission Avenue, Oceanside, CA 92054
- La Quinta Inn
937 N Coast Hwy, Oceanside, CA 92054
Public transportation is limited but improving in San Diego County. The North County Transit District (NCTD) serves the MiraCosta District and connects with the Coaster and Amtrak to travel beyond North County.
Bus/Light Rail System (Sprinter and Breeze)
North County Transit District (NCTD) operates public transit services to two Oceanside MiraCosta campuses. For more information about transit schedules in North County, visit GoNCTD.com or call 511 for personalized trip planning.
Public Transportation Information
NCTD offers MiraCosta College students a discounted four week (28 days) bus pass for $49.00 instead of $59.00. The pass provides unlimited use on the SPRINTER, a light rail train that runs from Oceanside to Escondido, and the BREEZE busses with routes throughout North County. They can be purchased at the Student Accounts Office/Cashier Building 3202 on the main campus in Oceanside, as well as the Community Learning Center, 1831 Mission Ave. Oceanside.
The SPRINTER light rail train stops at the
College Station every half-hour and connects with the BREEZE bus route
325 to complete the trip to the Oceanside campus. BREEZE Route 325
begins/ends at the Carlsbad Village COASTER Station. The schedule is
coordinated according to the arrivals/departures of the SPRINTER.
The BREEZE bus Route 302 serves the Oceanside Campus seven days a week, running approximately every 30 minutes until 10 p.m.
Community Learning Center
BREEZE bus route 303 serves the Community Learning Center on Mission Avenue in Oceanside every 15 minutes until 6 p.m. and every 30 minutes until 11 p.m. BREEZE bus route 313 also serves this campus with hourly service on weekdays.
San Elijo Campus
Please see FLEX 374 for service to the San Elijo Campus. The service is by reservation only. Details are available here (PDF).
The Coaster is an option for students who want to travel between downtown San Diego and Oceanside. The Coaster is a commuter train and monthly passes are available. For more information about the schedule and fares, visit GoNCTD.com. The SPRINTER light rail train and BREEZE buses connect with the Coaster at the Oceanside Transit Center.
The AMTRAK train is available to students who want to travel throughout California or to other states. AMTRAK fares depend on the time of year, your destination, how far in advance you order your tickets, and whether you want coach or sleeper space. The SPRINTER light rail train and BREEZE buses connect with the Amtrak/Coaster station.
For more information on San Diego commute you may visit: http://www.transit.511sd.com
Bicycling is used by some of our students as the most economical way to get around the MiraCosta College campus. If you plan to ride a bicycle you should be aware of some safety procedures:
- A helmet is strongly recommended. A helmet is mandatory if you are under 18 years of age.
- Reflective clothing is crucial if you are riding at night, as well as a headlight, rear light and reflector.
- Bicyclists must comply with the same traffic regulations as motorists, so you need to obtain a copy of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handbook.
The easiest but not the cheapest way to move around is by automobile. A reliable used car costs at least $2,500. Additional costs of having a car are the mandatory insurance as well as necessary repairs and fuel.
It is recommended that International students obtain a California Driving License even if you have a valid international license. Prior to receiving a license the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will require:
- A social security card or a letter of denial from the social security office.
- Your passport, I-20 and a valid I-94 card.
- A written test as well as driving test.
After you have completed this process, a temporary license will be issued until a confirmation on your status is received by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The actual driving license will be mailed to you as soon as this confirmation is received, and this process may take as long as 9 months.
For more information, please visit the DMV Web site.Car Insurance
If you purchase a car in California you must purchase insurance as well. The car insurance costs approximately $1,000 per year but it also depends on your driving records. Most insurance companies do require driving records for the past three years so it is advisable that you bring your driving records. In order for you to receive the cheapest insurance rate, you will need to "shop" (call or search through internet for the cheapest rate). Below, we have listed some web site addresses of car insurance companies:
Rent a Car
Renting a car is an option for students who want to do some sightseeing and travel to places such as Disneyland, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, and Sea World. If you consider renting a car, you need to know that most car rental companies require that are at least 25 years of age, have a valid driving license, and a credit card. Below are listed some car rental web sites: