Transportation / Home Stay Services

Housing Information

Housing is the responsibility of the individual student and/or sponsor. MiraCosta College does not provide dormitories or college-approved housing for students. Below are listed some web sites and phone numbers of companies/organizations that can assist you with planning your arrival to San Diego County. MiraCosta College assumes no responsibility and has no knowledge of the condition of housing advertised or the character/reputation of those seeking housing.

Home Stay Services

Other Resources for Housing

Finding housing is an important step for new students. What should you consider before making a housing decision? 

Step 1: Consider your budget

Host family A typical cost to stay with a host family is:

Private apartments and homes  A typical apartment costs:

*Nearly all housing will require a bus pass or private car to travel to school and shopping. A bus pass is currently $49 per month for MiraCosta College students.

Step 2: Decide how you will handle arriving to the United States

Finding the right housing option will be difficult from long distance. Finding an apartment, signing a rental contract, and deciding an appropriate location to live can take months. A homestay services can provide an immediate housing option and provide airport pickup from San Diego. If you would like to live with a host family either temporarily or permanently you can contact the following resources:

Step 3: Learn about the neighborhoods around MiraCosta College

Step 4: Learn more about housing options

Step 5: Understand rental contract and other matters

To rent an apartment or a room from a private home, you are required to sign a lease (rental contract) for 6 months to one year. Before signing a least, you should ask appropriate questions to understand what your responsibilities are as a renter.   

Roommate is like a business partner. You need to know someone well enough to trust them to pay bills, respect your belongings and yourself. Before committing to a roommate, you should ask how rent and expenses will be divided and how they are paid. When living in an apartment, you should expect to pay for all furniture and possible moving expenses. Besides rent, you should expect to pay for electricity, water/trash pickup, cleaning supplies, and other shared expenses. 

A helpful guide to internet providers, utility companies and more can be found at

Hotels near MiraCosta College

The list below has information for 5 hotels/motels located near MiraCosta College

Transportation Information

Public transportation is limited but improving in San Diego County. The North County Transit District (NCTD) serves the MiraCosta District and connects with the Coaster and Amtrak to travel beyond North County.

Bus/Light Rail System (Sprinter and Breeze)

North County Transit District (NCTD) operates public transit services to two Oceanside MiraCosta campuses. For more information about transit schedules in North County, visit or call 511 for personalized trip planning.

Public Transportation Information

NCTD offers MiraCosta College students an Adult Regional Monthly Pass, discounted four week (30 day) bus pass for $57.60. The pass provides unlimited use on the SPRINTER, a light rail train that runs from Oceanside to Escondido, MTS Buses and the Trolley, as well as the BREEZE busses with routes throughout North County. They can be purchased at the Student Accounts Office/Cashier, Building 3202, on the main campus in Oceanside, as well as the Community Learning Center, 1831 Mission Ave. Oceanside. The bus pass is only available to students enrolled in at least one class at MiraCosta College. Bus passes are valid from the first of the month until the end of the month, and can be purchased from the 20th of the prior month until the 15th of the current month. No passes will be sold after the 15th until the 20th.

Oceanside Campus

The SPRINTER light rail train stops at the College Station every half-hour and connects with the BREEZE bus route 325 to complete the trip to the Oceanside campus. BREEZE Route 325 begins/ends at the Carlsbad Village COASTER Station. The schedule is coordinated according to the arrivals/departures of the SPRINTER.

The BREEZE bus Route 302 serves the Oceanside Campus seven days a week, running approximately every 30 minutes until 10 p.m.

Community Learning Center

BREEZE bus route 303 serves the Community Learning Center on Mission Avenue in Oceanside every 15 minutes until 6 p.m. and every 30 minutes until 11 p.m. BREEZE bus route 313 also serves this campus with hourly service on weekdays.

San Elijo Campus

Please see FLEX 374 for service to the San Elijo Campus. The service is by reservation only. Details are available here (PDF).

The Coaster

The Coaster is an option for students who want to travel between downtown San Diego and Oceanside. The Coaster is a commuter train and monthly passes are available. For more information about the schedule and fares, visit The SPRINTER light rail train and BREEZE buses connect with the Coaster at the Oceanside Transit Center.


The AMTRAK train is available to students who want to travel throughout California or to other states. AMTRAK fares depend on the time of year, your destination, how far in advance you order your tickets, and whether you want coach or sleeper space. The SPRINTER light rail train and BREEZE buses connect with the Amtrak/Coaster station.

For more information on San Diego commute you may visit:

Private Transportation


Bicycling is used by some of our students as the most economical way to get around the MiraCosta College campus. If you plan to ride a bicycle you should be aware of some safety procedures:


The easiest but not the cheapest way to move around is by automobile. A reliable used car costs at least $2,500. Additional costs of having a car are the mandatory insurance as well as necessary repairs and fuel.

Driver's License

It is recommended that International students obtain a California Driving License even if you have a valid international license. Prior to receiving a license the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will require:

After you have completed this process, a temporary license will be issued until a confirmation on your status is received by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The actual driving license will be mailed to you as soon as this confirmation is received, and this process may take as long as 9 months.

For more information, please visit the DMV Web site.

Car Insurance

If you purchase a car in California you must purchase insurance as well. The car insurance costs approximately $1,000 per year but it also depends on your driving records. Most insurance companies do require driving records for the past three years so it is advisable that you bring your driving records. In order for you to receive the cheapest insurance rate, you will need to "shop" (call or search through internet for the cheapest rate). Below, we have listed some web site addresses of car insurance companies:

Rent a Car

Renting a car is an option for students who want to do some sightseeing and travel to places such as Disneyland, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, and Sea World. If you consider renting a car, you need to know that most car rental companies require that are at least 25 years of age, have a valid driving license, and a credit card. Below are listed some car rental web sites: