Old Town Pasadena and The Huntington Library and Gardens
Saturday, April 21, 2018
Old world charm meets modern conveniences at Old Town Pasadena. Prior to our stop at The Huntington, there will be a no-host breakfast/brunch in Old Town Pasadena. There will be time to explore the shops and history of Old Town or just enjoy a leisurely dining experience and then off to The Huntington Library, Art Collection and Botanical Gardens where we will enjoy remarkable art and the magnificence of nature. The Huntington grounds encompass 207 acres in the San Gabriel Valley, amid a diverse botanical collection of rare plants, shrubs, and mature trees in an ever changing riot of color. The Library contains rare books and manuscripts. Included in the collection is the Ellesmere manuscript of Chaucer’s, The Canterbury Tales (c.1410) and a Gutenberg Bible (c.1455). The Huntington Art Collections focus on European art from the 15th to the early 20th century and American art from the late 17th to the mid-20th century. Included in the vast art collection is Blue Boy by Thomas Gainsborough and Pinkieby Thomas Lawrence. Aside from the beauty inside, more than a dozen specialized gardens are yours to explore. Among the most remarkable are the Desert, the Japanese and the Rose Gardens. If you feel like lunch or a snack, there are a number of restaurants located on the grounds including the Rose Garden Tea Room (reservations recommended) and don’t forget to stop by the gift shop to pick up souvenirs.
Fee: Book Early for $85. For booking made after 3/31, fee will increase to $95.
Guide: Carrie Welsh (staff)
Activity Level: Easy
Depart: 8:30 AM. Return: approx 5:30 PM.
• Includes transportation and admission fee into the Huntington.
• Wear very comfortable walking shoes. Dress casually and in layers of clothing or bring a jacket for cool weather.
• Sunscreen and/or hat is recommended.
• Audio tours for the galleries are available on the Huntington's free audio guide app.
• Reservation with the Huntington is recommend if you would like to dine at the Rose Garden Tea room.
Excursion Rules & Regulations:
• Refunds will be granted no later than five working days before the excursion. There will be a $25 cancellation fee if the excursion is full and a replacement can be found. No refunds will be granted after the excursion has taken place.
• The bus will depart on time. Pick up and drop off at MiraCosta College, Oceanside Campus, Parking Lot 1A. Day parking permits are required at MiraCosta College, Oceanside Campus. Parking permit may be purchased from machine in Parking Lot 1-A. Day parking fee is $1.
• Anyone missing the bus will not receive a refund.
• MiraCosta College reserves the right to make itinerary changes if necessary.
• Any excursion may be cancelled due to low enrollment.
• Seating arrangements on the bus will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Those who have difficulty sitting at the rear of the bus are advised to arrive early.
• No smoking is permitted on the bus.