The Beautiful Getty
Saturday, June 16, 2018
The J. Paul Getty Museum’s goal is to make its collection meaningful and attractive to a broad audience by presenting and interpreting the collection through educational programs, special exhibitions, publications, conservation, and research. The location and view from the one billion dollar center is as spectacular as the architecture and 54 galleries containing some of the world’s major pieces of art. At this particular time, Getty Center holds a major exhibition that explores the artistic interplay between the three great cultures of Egypt, Greece, and Rome from about 2000 BC to AD 300. There will be a number of other fantastic exhibitions, including:
- Medieval India and Europe which highlights the spiritual motivations for creating and owning portable and devotional artworks
- Exhibition of expression offering a close up look at the range of human stories that facial expressions and photographs can tell
- Contemporary and modern outdoor sculpture and architecture. Gallery teachers, curators, and docents lead free guided tours of the galleries, architecture and gardens throughout the day.
Fee: Book Early for $65. For booking made after 6/2, fee will increase to $75.
Activity Level: Easy (Moderate with a lot of walking if you plan to explore the surroundings)
Depart: 8 AM. Return: approx 6:30 PM.
- Includes transportation and admission to
- Wear very comfortable walking shoes. Dress casually and in layers of clothing for cool to
- Please bring your ID card if you would like to rent a free audio guide at the Getty’s Center
- No-host lunch at the Getty Center (visit getty.edu for cafe menu). You may bring your own lunch and enjoy a picnic on the lawn adjacent to the Central Garden or at any of the Getty Center's public seating areas as well
Excursion Rules & Regulations
- Refunds will be granted no later than five working days before the excursion. There will be a $25 cancellation fee if the excursion is full and a replacement can be found. No refunds will be granted after the excursion has taken place.
- The bus will depart on time. Pick up and drop off at MiraCosta College, Oceanside Campus, Parking Lot 1A. Day parking permits are required at MiraCosta College, Oceanside Campus. Parking permit may be purchased from machine in Parking Lot 1-A. Day parking fee is $1.
- Anyone missing the bus will not receive a refund.
- MiraCosta College reserves the right to make itinerary changes if necessary.
- Any excursion may be cancelled due to low enrollment.
- Seating arrangements on the bus will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Those who have difficulty sitting at the rear of the bus are advised to arrive early.
- No smoking is permitted on the bus.