From Prehistoric to Modern Los Angeles!
Explore La Brea Tar Pits & Grand Central Market
Saturday, July 15
Explore prehistoric Los Angeles through fossils captured by the La Brea Tar Pits. The Page Museum houses the Earth’s richest and most important Ice Age fossil collection. Start out by taking the Excavator Tour to get an overview of the story of La Brea Tar Pits. Journey to a world lost in time and discover how these magnificent creatures became trapped in "tar" preserved in time. See live excavations happening during the summer. Afterwards, you will have time to continue your visit to the rest of the museum and browse the museum shop. You may also take a walk across the street to the Craft & Folk Art Museum or to the Peterson Automotive Museum.
In the afternoon, we will head out to the Grand Central Market where you will have the opportunity to shop and explore the cuisines and cultures of Los Angeles. This place is a foodie delight! It's even a fun place to people watch! It houses a variety of food stands such as: ramen noodles, a bar devoted to oysters, Italian handmade pastas, pizza, pupusa, sushi, burgers, etc...there's so much! There will be no-host lunch.
Fee: Book early for $83. For booking made after 6/30, fee will increase to $93 (includes entrance and tour at La Brea Tar Pits)
Guides: Carrie Welsh (staff)
Activity Level: Easy
Depart: 8 AM. Return: approx 5:30 PM.
• Wear very comfortable walking shoes.
• Dress casually and in layers of clothing or bring a jacket for cool and/or warm weather.
• Grand Central is very popular and busy. Lines are expected.
Excursion Rules & Regulations:
• Refunds will be granted no later than five working days before the excursion. There will be a $25 cancellation fee if the excursion is full and a replacement can be found. No refunds will be granted after the excursion has taken place.
• The bus will depart on time. Pick up and drop off at MiraCosta College, Oceanside Campus, Parking Lot 1A. Day parking permits are required at MiraCosta College, Oceanside Campus. Parking permit may be purchased from machine in Parking Lot 1-A. Day parking fee is $1.
• Anyone missing the bus will not receive a refund.
• MiraCosta College reserves the right to make itinerary changes if necessary.
• Any excursion may be cancelled due to low enrollment.
• Seating arrangements on the bus will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Those who have difficulty sitting at the rear of the bus are advised to arrive early.
• No smoking is permitted on the bus.