Why Take a Learning Community
What is a Learning Community?
A learning community is two classes linked together with the same students enrolled in both classes. Each class is taught separately, but the instructors have carefully and thoughtfully designed their classes to fit well together. Instructors will often share themes, readings, and/or projects that reinforce and enhance your experience in each course.
Why Take a Learning Community?
- CONNECT TO YOUR LEARNING
You will make meaningful connections between the two classes, and you will more likely succeed in both.
- CONNECT TO YOUR CLASSMATES
You will get to know your classmates and your instructor well as you work together over the entire semester.
- CONNECT TO COLLEGE SUPPORT
You will have support from Student Services to help you with your personal and academic success.
- Having these two linked courses helped me write meaningful essays and learn how to relate what I learned in class to real life events
- Through this linked course I was able to take my own interpretations on how society is and express them in writing. Through the reading in our English class it was really easy to take what he learned in sociology and relate it to stories like Burro Genius which requires knowledge of how society affects people’s actions and beliefs.
- It was very cool how both classes were on the same page.
I view things completely different when I see things I think about the who what when and where – I think deeper.
- Helping me connect the concepts in soc to my writing in English, it helped me to have more mature examples in my writing and also helped me develop more clear thoughts and ideas.
- It has allowed me to open up to my peers on topics I now feel comfortable with like class, drugs in society, politics, sex, etc
- The way things connected in these 2 classes really advanced my thinking techniques and gave me a better way of understanding society.
- It was good to have these two classes work together because it helped to look at something in two different perspectives but still stay on the same topic.
- When writing essays in English I would have a better idea as to what to write because of knowledge gained in sociology.