About the Department
Miracosta college’s Music Technology Program offers certificates and associate degrees and prepares students for exciting and rewarding careers in the music industry. MiraCosta College graduates have obtained jobs in the commercial Music Industry, including working on audio recording, computerized music systems, sound reinforcement and production, and more. MiraCosta College’s Music Department offers music technology classes in:
- Audio Equipment Maintenance
- The Business of Music
- Equipment Maintenance
- Concert Sound Reinforcement
- Digital Audio Production
- Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
- Recording Arts
- And more!
- Christy Coobatis
Office: Oceanside, Room 2220
Email | View Website
- Dan Siegel
Office: Oceanside, Room 2215
P 760.757.2121 x6434
Email | View Website
For up to date information on Events held by the Music Technology Department, please check the MiraCosta College Events page. All events cost $10 General Admission and $8 Students/Seniors and will be held in the Concert Hall unless otherwise noted.Instrumental Jazz
Renowned bass virtuoso Brian Bromberg with the Jazz Collective and MOJO
Steve Torok, Director
Date: Saturday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m.
General Admission: $20; seniors/students/staff, $15
The final performance of the school year by the Frequency Vocal Jazz Ensemble will feature selected soloists and small groups performing contemporary and classic jazz repertoire, primarily arranged by the students in the ensemble.
Matt Falker, Director
Date: Friday, May 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Student Showcase & Recital—Classical
Enjoy an afternoon recital of classical music featuring the best performances from pianists, singers and instrumentalists in the Applied Music Program. Concert proceeds support student scholarships.
Date: Sunday, May 4 at 3 p.m.
Jazz & Commercial Music Showcase/ Faculty-Student Jam
The first half of the concert showcases students in the Applied Jazz & Commercial Music Program and spring 2014 Jazz/Commercial Improvisation courses. In the second half, students and faculty share the stage for a jam session, one of the most interactive and authentic expressions of the jazz tradition. Concert proceeds support student scholarships.
Date: Monday, May 5 at 7:30 p.m.
Location: Music Bldg. 2200, Studio A, Oceanside Campus
MiraCosta College Symphony Orchestra
Please join the MiraCosta College Symphony Orchestra for two concerts featuring the music of the great American composers, George Gershwin, Aaron Copland and others. International competition-winning pianist Kirill Gliadkovsky will perform George Gershwin’s Piano Concerto in F major.
Branden Muresan, conductor. (Branden will do a lecture/demo at beginning of concert)
Date: Saturday, May 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Date: Sunday, May 18 at 3 p.m.
MiraCosta College’s Music Technology Program has the latest in state-of-the-art music technology equipment. It is housed in two, new beautiful ocean-view buildings, including a world- class concert hall. Some of the equipment includes:
- Toft and AVID, studio mixing consoles
- Tascam X-48 digital multitrack recorders
- Neve, Millenia, Avalon, Daking, SSL, API, & Joe Meek microphone preamplifiers
- Genelec, QSC, ISP and Yamaha NS -10m monitoring
- Meyer main speakers in Concert Hall with AVID Venue and Yamaha consoles
- Lexicon, Yamaha & TC Electronics signal processing
- UREI , DBX, Klark Teknik & Drawmer dynamic signal processing
- Aviom and Furman headphone monitoring systems
- Kurzweil, KORG, Technics & Roland controller keyboards
- Mac G5 and iMac computer labs and control rooms
- AVID Venue and Yamaha consoles in concert hall
- Yamaha, Sound Craft and Mackie sound reinforcement mixing consoles
- Meyer Main speakers in concert hall, JBL, ISP Mackie, EAW, Turbo Sound speakers
Additional software training equipment includes:
- Protools HD and Digital Performer
- Reason, Garage Band, Band in the Box software synths
- McDSP, Sonnox, Waves plug-ins and more
- Sibelius, Finale notation software