Registered Nursing Program
Associate Degree Nursing Program Mission Statement
The mission of the MiraCosta College Nursing Program is to educate a diverse population of qualified students to become safe, competent, and caring registered nurses who will provide care in a variety of settings throughout the community. The program also serves as a foundation for educational mobility, personal growth, and lifelong learning.
The Nursing Program directly aligns with the college mission by providing educational opportunities to a diverse population of students in a supportive, caring environment.
This is a full time, 4 semester (summers not included) program which meets during the day. Days and times vary per semester. Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Licensing Exam (NCLEX) for licensure as a registered nurse. Graduates may also transfer their units to any 4-year college or university if a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) is desired.
NCLEX pass rates can be found here.
Admission Requirements and Application
* New admission requirement - Applicants must apply to MiraCosta and receive a student ID number before submitting an application to the program.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
The following due dates apply:
|Application Deadline||Enrollment||Notifications sent by|
|February 28th||Fall Semester||End of April|
|August 31st||Spring Semester||
End of October
Once the five (5) pre-requisites are completed, you may submit your application with the required documentation to the Nursing Administration Bldg T420.
- Completion of the following SCIENCE PREREQUISITES with a combined G.P.A. of 2.5 with no grade less than "C" for each course and no more than one repetition for a substandard grade or withdrawal in any one of the 3 courses:
- Human Anatomy (BIO210) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Human Physiology (BIO220) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Microbiology (BIO230) – 4 - 5 semester units or equivalent
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITE with a grade of no less than “C”:
- Composition and Reading (ENGL100) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Intermediate Algebra (MATH64) - 4 semester units or equivalent, or satisfaction of the MiraCosta College mathematics compentency requirement
Note: Sociology/Psychology and Communication/Speech must be completed to receive points in the “Fixed Set” GPA section.
Those students holding a bachelor's degree in another discipline from a U.S. nationally accredited institution may not be required to take any other general education requirements for the A.S. Registered Nursing degree.
Students who do not meet the G.P.A. or course repetition requirement should check with the Nursing Department for other options.
- Transcript Requirement: One original transcript in a sealed envelope from each college and university attended, including MiraCosta College, must be submitted with your application to the program.
- Foreign Transcripts: If you took a prerequisite course in a foreign country, foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency. Approved agencies can be found here.
- Testing Requirement: All students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), version ATI TEAS. We are no longer accepting other versions. This is a diagnostic test that covers basic Math, Reading, and Science. Students may prepare for this test by going to the ATI testing site and then go to ASSESSMENTS; go to Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
Denial of Licensure
- The California Board of Registered Nursing may deny a license regulated by the Business and Professional Code, Section 480, on such grounds as: being convicted of a crime, acts of dishonesty, fraud or deceit. All students selected for enrollment in the nursing program will be assessed for past criminal activity prior to clinical experiences. Please contact the Program Director if you have questions.
For applicants who are notified that they have been accepted for enrollment in the program, there are additional requirements
- Health Requirements: Applicants selected for enrollment in the program must have a physical examination, laboratory tests, and immunizations just prior to starting the Nursing Program. The student must be free from communicable diseases, infections, and must be able to perform the essential requirements of the program with or without reasonable accommodations for disability.
- Orientation and Advisement Session must be attended once accepted for enrollment in the program.
- ALL nursing students in ALL programs will be required to complete the background check and urine drug screen BEFORE BEGINNING THE NURSING PROGRAMS IN SAN DIEGO - THIS IS A HOSPITAL/HEALTH CARE AGENCY REQUIREMENT. Students will be given the information to obtain these requirements at the orientation and advisement.
*Note: If you have any convictions on your background check in the last 7 years, you will not be eligible to start the program.Board of Registered Nursing
1170 Durfee Ave., Suite G
South El Monte, CA. 91733-4400