About OER & ZTC
Open Educational Resources (OER) are educational materials shared under a license allowing for free use, alteration, and/or integration into new contexts. Zero-Textbook Cost (ZTC) classes and programs rely on OER and other online resources to eliminate textbook costs for students. This site is a starting point for MiraCosta faculty and students interested in discovering MiraCosta classes that are already using OER/ZTC materials, or for finding OER to replace current textbooks. Read up on general background information on OER and ZTC if you wish.
Quick links for faculty
- Discover open textbooks and courses that might be useful in your teaching
- Discover tools and services that may have a small cost but may help you rebuild and offer classes using low- and no-cost course materials
- Discover online sources of free multimedia and content that are useful in creating your own educational materials
- Find out if your discipline at MiraCosta has its own site for curating and sharing educational resources
- Learn more about support at MiraCosta for faculty interested in incorporating OER/ZTC materials into classes
Quick links for students
- See a list of MiraCosta classes which are designated as Zero Textbook Cost (coming before January 2018)
OER & ZTC: MiraCosta College News & Highlights
MiraCosta will host an ASCCC Regional Meeting for faculty interested in learning more about OER on Saturday, Sept. 16.
In 2016, MiraCosta received three grants to expand the use of OERs and the development of ZTC classes and programs.
- MiraCosta was one of 44 CCCs and CSUs to receive an AB 798 grant. This $50,000 grant provides support for 50 class sections in Math, Oceanography, Sociology, Child Development, and International Languages to achieve a minimum 30% course material cost savings for students through adoption of OER. For 2016-17, the use of OERs in classes associated with the grant resulted in savings of over $240,000 to students enrolled in 49 course sections. In 2017-18 that number will grow larger as more courses and sections use OERs.
- MiraCosta was one of 18 CCCs to receive a ZTC planning grant. This $34,369 grant supports the Sociology department and the college in planning for a ZTC AA degree in Sociology.
- MiraCosta was one of 5 CCCs to receive a ZTC implementation grant. This $66,948 grant supports the Child Development department in building out a ZTC Child Development Associate Teacher certificate.
The Physics department has committed to using OERs for the entire Physics course sequence, and use of OERs developed here at MiraCosta is rapidly increasing across the introductory Oceanography, Earth Science, and Geology classes.
Additionally, the college is well on its way to complying with the state requirement (SB 1359) to notify students of ZTC classes in the online class schedule by January 2018.
The college has established an OER Task Force comprised of faculty, staff, administrators, and students, which will meet regularly in 2017-18 to further strengthen these efforts.
MiraCosta was accepted as a member in the Open Education Consortium / Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources in May 2017.