Here are some links for additional professional development opportunities that can be used to fulfill flex obligations. Please don't hesitate to contact the PDP / Flex office if you know of an opportunity that might be appropriate to include here.
MiraCosta Programs and Opportunities
All MCC activities are "Category I" pre-approved activities.
- ARC (Academic Reading Community)
- Watch for ARC-sponsored workshops, brown bags, and other activities! Maybe you'll develop your own ARC-sponsored activity?
- DSPS Exam Proctors
- Discipline experts are needed to proctor exams to DSPS students. Contact Maria Pena at x6297 for more information and to be placed on the list of volunteers.
- FIGs (Faculty Inquiry Groups)
- Watch for FIG-sponsored workshops, brown bags, and other activities! Maybe you'll develop your own FIG-sponsored activity?
- Job Shadow Program
- Founded in 2005, the Program for Online Teaching (POT) is an independent, self-contained, volunteer faculty professional development group. Faculty propose, lead, and attend flex activitities relating to the core objective of excellence in online education. As a community of practice, POT members mentor colleagues, share resources and ideas, and offer a certificate of online instruction. Involvement is open to interested faculty at all academic institutions.
- Watch for POT-sponsored workshops, brown bags, webinars, and other activities!
- POT Blackboard Modules
- Log in with your SURF username and password. Click on the course on the right hand side that says POT: Program for Online Teaching (usually near the bottom of your course list). Then Choose "Bb Learning Modules" from the menu at left and follow the instructions.
- Student Success Webinars
- The Student Success Program (SSP) sponsors webinars from Innovative Educators. They come complete with PowerPoint slides and other handouts. Thanks to the SSP for this great investment in our students!
- To watch the actual webinars, you must enter "MiraCosta College" in the company field and your MCC email address in the email field. Supplementary resorces (slides & handouts) are often available.
- Teaching Exchange
- Observing a colleague without the pressures of evaluation can be one of the most valuable experiences an instructor can have. Ever wanted to sit in on a colleague's class to see how they do things? Figured no one had the time, would be interested, etc.? Did you know that we have a program designed just for that purpose and that you (and the colleague you're visiting) can earn flex credit for participating?
Non-MCC Programs and Opportunities
Non-MCC activities are either "Category II" (if you can prove your participation with a certificate, registration confirmation, etc. upload it with the entry) or "Category III" (if you have no documentation to prove participation).
- 4Faculty.org is a website and series of courses designed specifically for the needs of community college faculty. While it is no longer supported, the site and virtually all of its online training courses and resources are still fully functional. You must save an electronic copy of your completion certificate from each completed course to upload for flex credit.
- @ONE Training Courses
- At-Risk training simulation by Kognito Interactive: Gatekeeper & suicide prevention training designed to help you identify students in mental distress and refer them for help before it's too late
- You must create an account using your MiraCosta email address, then use "miracosta15" as the enrollment key. Certificate must be uploaded as a Category II activity.
- Student success themed "Brown Bag" webinars from the Community College League of California
(When you click on the video at the linked page, be patient -- it can take a long time to load.)