Observing a colleague without the pressures of evaluation can be one of the most valuable experiences an instructor can have. Ever wanted to sit in on a colleague's class to see how they do things? Figured no one had the time, would be interested, etc.? Did you know that we have a program designed just for that purpose and that you (and the colleague you visit) can earn flex credit for participating?
How It Works
You and the colleague you wish to visit make the arrangements between yourselves. PDP doesn't need to be involved here but do keep records of communication in the event verification is requested. Remember, it is always the faculty member's responsibility to maintain proper documentation of any activity s/he claims for flex credit. Documentation is subject to examination by the state until the third July 1st beyond the activity's completion date.
There are no special forms to fill out. Just read and follow these directions and make sure to ask questions as soon as you have them.
- A pre-visit discussion is not necessary.
- If you choose to engage in significant pre-visit discussion (i.e. about pedagogy, things to look for during implementation of techniques, etc.) you may claim up to one hour of flex credit for it. This applies to both the colleague doing the visiting and the colleague being visited.
The Visit Itself
- You may claim flex credit for the time spent in the colleague's actual class, in half-hour increments. (You do not need to attend the entire class period but you may only record half hour increments on your transcript.) This applies only to the colleague doing the visiting. The colleague being visited cannot claim flex credit for his/her own class.
- A post-visit discussion is required! This is the essence of the Teaching Exchange: learning from your colleague by discussing the pedagogy, implementation techniques, classroom management, etc.
- You may claim up to one hour of flex credit for the post-visit discussion with your colleague. This applies to both the colleague doing the visiting and the colleague being visited.
How To Record Credit
Because this is a MiraCosta activity, it is a Category I activity.
- Log in to MyFlex and choose "Record MCC Group Activity" from the pull-down at top right of the "Enroll" tab.
- Choose "Teaching Exchange" from the pull-down menu on the page.
- Enter the date of the actual classroom visit, NOT the dates of either the pre-visit or post-visit discussion.
- Enter the total number of hours as the sum of the actual class time (to the nearest half hour), the one hour for pre-visit discussion if appropriate, and the one hour for the required post-visit discussion.
- In the box for the reflection statement, make sure to include how much of the total time claimed is class time and how much is for each of the discussions.
- Follow the directions for the reflection statement precisely, making sure to explicitly address how the exchange contributed to your professional development in one or more of the areas of student, staff, and/or instructional improvement.
Contact PDP for further information.