Online Orientation & Advisement (Matriculation)
MiraCosta College wants you to achieve your educational goals. The matriculation process starts you on the right path and keeps you going with the information you need to arrive at your educational destination. Read more about matriculation (including exemptions) on our Testing Services website. Matriculation includes the following components:
- Assessment (Testing) includes English and math placement tests. You can't fail these tests - they are designed to assess your knowledge and place you in the English or math class best suited to your skills.
- Orientation introduces you to terminology, academic programs and student services and gives you planning tools you'll need to succeed at MiraCosta College.
- Advisement provides you with information on which courses to take to meet your goals - whether you're planning to transfer, earn an associate degree or career technical certificate. Also, your assessment scores and recommendations for placement in English and math classes will be reviewed.
We provide online formats for both Orientation and Advisement where you view, read, and listen to audio narrated presentations. Persons with disabilities may request alternative methods of presentation by calling 760.795.6658. You may also call for on-campus appointments with faculty and staff by calling 760.795.6670.
NOTE: Meeting with a counselor in person does not give you credit for Advisement. You need to complete the following four steps in order to be matriculated.
How to Matriculate (in four easy steps):
|Step 1:||Apply for Admission. Submit your application to receive a student SURF ID number and password. If you are a returning MiraCosta student, you must reapply if you have not been in attendance during the preceeding Fall or Spring semester.|
Assessment (Testing). This includes the English and math placement tests. These may be taken at either campus. Visit the testing web site to learn how to be exempt from the testing process by using course work or assessment results from other colleges.
Orientation. View the Online Orientation presentation and complete the quiz at the end to receive credit for this portion of matriculation. You may view this presentation as many times as you like. If you do not need credit for viewing our orientation, do not submit the quiz at the end. Do not forget to also complete Advisement. Read the Technical Requirements section before viewing the presentation.
Advisement. View the Online Advisement presentation and complete the quiz at the end to receive credit for this portion of matriculation. Review the Transfer Advisement if you plan to transfer to another institution to complete your educational goals (i.e., transfer to get your Bachelor's Degree). Review the Associate Degree and Career Technical Education Advisement if you plan to complete your educational goals at MiraCosta (i.e., earn a Certificate or an Associate of Arts Degree). You may review both Advisement sessions if you desire, but you only need to complete one Advisement session and only submit one quiz for credit. You may view these presentations as many times as you like. If you do not need credit for viewing our advisement, do not submit the quiz at the end. Do not forget to also complete Orientation. Read the Technical Requirements section before viewing the presentations.
Need More Information?
- If you encounter problems viewing these presentations, we suggest you use FireFox Mozilla to launch the presentation instead of Internet Explorer. We also recommend that you use a PC instead of a MAC (which includes iPads).
- You need to have a SURF ID number and password to complete the quizzes at the end of Orientation and Advisement presentations.
- If you are logged into SURF, you must log off before starting any of these presentations. After logging off, return to this site.
- Accessible versions of the Orientation and Advisement presentation quizzes are available for screen reader users. Contact 760.795.6658 for Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS)-related questions.