Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Financial Aid Office? What are MiraCosta Colleges Financial Aid Office hours? How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?

Please visit the Financial Aid Office homepage for location, hours, and contact information.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  Dreamers and undocumented students can apply for financial aid by completing the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) at .

When should I apply for financial aid?

Applications are available October 1 each year for the next school year. You should apply for financial aid as early as possible. Although students can apply at any time during the year, March 2 is a priority filing date for Cal Grant Programs. Cal Grant GPA certification must be postmarked by March 2 and September 2.

Can the Financial Aid Office help me complete my application for financial aid?

Yes. We offer walk-ins anytime our office is open and have staff available. During peak times, there may be delays or long wait times. We recommend you call ahead of time to check staff availability. You can also call the Federal Processor at 1-800-4 FED AID (800-433-3243). If you still have individual concerns in completing the application, contact the Financial Aid Office at MiraCosta College.

What is the Title IV school code for MiraCosta College?


How long does it take to find out if I'm eligible?

The application process takes approximately 20-40 minutes. Having all your documents with you makes applying easier and faster. Be sure to apply early, so you know what you are eligible to receive BEFORE the semester starts.

Can I get help with the registration fees?

If you are not eligible for a California College Promise Grant (CCPG) fee waiver your enrollment fees can be waived. Eligibility is determined by completing the FAFSA or CADAA.

If you are a Non-Resident and are lacking funds to cover the non-resident tuition, a short-term deferment of tuition is available. You do not have to be a first-time semester attendee. Contact the Financial Aid Office for information on non-resident tuition deferment.

What other assistance is available for my books?

A portion of financial aid is disbursed prior to the start of each semester to allow students to buy books and supplies. Make sure you apply early and complete all required SURF Tasks in order to have the best chance to receive your financial aid early. You may also get assistance with books from the Extended Opportunity Programs and Services Department (EOPS), please contact their office for eligibility requirements.

Can I receive financial aid at two schools at the same time?

No. You can receive federal financial aid at only one college at a time. If you will be taking classes at two different schools at the same time, you will need to decide which school you want to receive aid from. This does not apply to the CCPG.

What happens if I get financial aid and then drop some or all of my classes?

The answer to this question varies on a case-by-case basis. You may be required to pay back all or part of your financial aid. Please notify the Financial Aid Office in writing if you drop classes after you have already received payment. Please read the Title IV Refunds & Repayments web page.

What if my financial circumstances have changed dramatically?

Complete the FAFSA as indicated in the instructions. Contact the Financial Aid Office, you may be able to file a special circumstance form.

Can I get enough financial aid so I can quit my job?

Funds are intended to supplement, not supplant resources needed to meet the cost of education.