View the LGBTQIA+ History Month calendar
The LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual+) History month is a celebration of theaccomplishments of LGBTQIA+ identified individuals throughout history, as well as a commemoration of the struggles and challenges faced by many to improve the rights and experiences of the community.
All campus and community members are invited toevents on the month's calendar,where they can learn and explore different aspects of this rich history.
Often, the struggles and achievements of LGBTQIA+ community members are erased or undervalued; LGBTQIA+ History Month is an opportunity to shed light, build community, and explore avenues for advocacy and activism that can build a brighter future. Bring your friends!
- Co-hosted by GSA leaders
- Come play, enjoy some refreshments, and kick off LGBTQIA+ History Month.
- Tuesday, October 3, 11:30am-1:30pm in the Social Justice and Equity Center (OC 3445)
San Elijo College Hour
- Enjoy a drag show with a professional drag queen performance!
- Thursday, October 5, 12:45pm-1:45pm at San Elijo
Coming Out Forum All Day Event
- This event includes an invitation to share a coming out story via open mic or anonymous online form (these will be read by others throughout the day).
- Wednesday, October 11, 9:00am-3:00pm at the Oceanside Pavilion Stage (near the Student Center)
Coming Out Forum
- The forum will feature a panel of students, former students, and faculty members sharing their coming out stories.
- Wednesday, October 11, 5:00pm-7:00pm in Aztlan A&B (Student Center, OC 3400)
OutRun Film Screening
- This film tells the story of a leader of the world’s only LGBT political party, Bemz Benedito, who dreams of being the first transgender woman in the Philippine Congress. In a predominantly Catholic nation, rallying for LGBT representation in the halls of Congress is not an easy feat. Benedito and her eclectic team of queer political warriors must rethink traditional campaign strategies to amass support from unlikely places. Culminating on election day, OutRun provides a unique look into the challenges LGBT people face as they transition into the mainstream and fight for dignity, legitimacy, and acceptance across the globe.
- Monday, October 16, 5:00pm-8:00pm in OC 3601 (Aztlan A&B overflow)
Oceanside College Hour
- Thursday, October 19, 12:00pm-1:00pm at the Oceanside Campus Fountain
A Primatological Perspective on Same-Sex Bonds with Anthropology professor Alexis Faust
- Thursday, October 19, 2:00pm-3:00pm in the Social Justice and Equity Center (OC 3445)
Check It Film Screening
- Monday, October 23, 5:30pm-7:30pm in Aztlan A&B (Student Center, OC 3400)
- Monday, October 30, 4:00pm-7:00pm in Aztlan A&B (Student Center, OC 3400)
- Karaoke, open to everybody!
- Tuesday, October 31, 11:30am-1:30pm in the Social Justice and Equity Center (OC 3445)
Any questions or details about the LGBTQIA+ History Month events, please contact one of the following: