- Possibility of late applications for fall 2017 Semester in London Late deadline is June 23. Call 760-795-6897 or email email@example.com to make an appointment with the International Office to complete an application. You can find the program brochure and price on the Citrus College website.
- Faculty selected for spring 2018 in Barcelona, Spain! Start your planning to attend the Spring 2018 study abroad semester in Barcelona, Spain. The following community college professors will teach in Barcelona for spring 2018. Each course title and number are from the Citrus College school catalog. Elizabeth Garate, mandatory Spanish Civilization class (Spanish 127), Spanish101, 102, 201, 202 and Spanish conversation 140 and 141. John Fincher, Speech 100, Speech 101, Speech 103, Speech 106. Irma Valdivia, History 104, Hitory 109, History 139, History 140. One online class possible. Program brochure will be available in September 2017. In the meantime, check out Instagram photos at #scfcbarcelona. Also view last year's website to find out approximate dates and program fees.
- Get financial help for study abroad! If you are interested in the Semester in London or Spain programs, be sure to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and add Citrus College’s school code #001166. Do you receive a Pell Grant? Consider the Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad. Visit the Gilman Scholarship website to make sure you are eligible to apply. Learn how to create a compelling application by visiting the Gilman Scholarship online presentation and get started on your international experience today!
- More scholarships to help you with study abroad: MiraCosta Scholarship Office, StudyAbroad.com, and Fund for Education Abroad.
- Thanks for everyone who participated in the Study Abroad Expo for fall 2016! The MiraCosta International Office with the support of the International Education Advisory Committee brought organizations and scholarship programs to our college to help everyone find an international experience. Visit the Study Abroad Expo link for details about the event.
What is Study Abroad?
Study abroad is an opportunity to attend classes outside the United States for the purpose of earning academic credit related to your educational goals. At MiraCosta College, we offer a semester-length study abroad each fall and spring semesters.
Where can I study?
MiraCosta currently offers one semester-length study abroad program each fall and spring semesters.
Remember that programs are open to all language levels, so participants are not restricted based upon language proficiency. Can't find a program you want at MiraCosta? Visit the International Office. We can help you research a program that meets your needs.
Who is eligible to participate in Study Abroad programs?
MiraCosta College students can participate in MiraCosta College-sponsored Study Abroad programs if they have completed a minimum of 12 academic credit units and have a cumulative GPA of greater than 2.5. All Study Abroad participants must be over 18 years old. Feel free to contact the Institute for International Perspectives regarding eligibility requirements for other study abroad opportunities.
How much does Study Abroad cost?
The answer to this depends on the destination, length and fees included in the program costs. In general, students will pay tuition and textbook costs to a California community college at the same rate as if you were taking courses on campus. Program fees cover airfare, housing, in-country support services, travel insurance, and other group travel expenses in the host country. For semester-length programs, program fees range from $9,000 to $10,000. Study Abroad fees do not cover personal expenses or independent travel expenses. Financial aid is available to qualified students. Scholarships are also available.
Why Study Abroad?
Study abroad can be a life changing experience that gives students the opportunities to learn about another culture first-hand and improve or learn new foreign language in an environment that can't be replicated in a classroom. Students have the chance to travel and make connections around the world, expanding their world views, all while earning transfer-level coursework at reasonable prices. Study abroad builds personal and professional skills that will distinguishes you in the job market. Read about past participants in our international newsletter.
Are there scholarships for Study Abroad?
In a word: YES! All students interested in study abroad should apply for Federal financial aid through the FAFSA application. Before you submit your FAFSA form, contact the International Office for instructions on which schools are awarding financial aid to Study Abroad participants. Next, visit the International Office to learn about scholarship opportunities specifically for Study Abroad participants. There are a number of websites that include lists of scholarships for study abroad that could relate to specific locations or purpose for study. The following are a few sample websites with scholarship opportunities:
Fund for Education Abroad
Globalinks Learning Abroad - Additional Scholarship Resources
MSU Information on Study Abroad Scholarship for Multicultural Studies
The Gilman Scholarship is a federally-funded program to support students at 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to study abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are granted to students participating in school-approved programs, depending on the length of study and student financial need. U.S. citizens who are receiving a federal Pell Grant as a part of the federal financial aid award (FAFSA) are eligible to apply.
Do I need a visa to travel on a MiraCosta study abroad program?
No. We design the length of our programs to be less than 90 days so U.S. citizens do not need to apply for a visa. If students choose to stay longer than 90 days, or if you travel with a passport other than U.S. passport, you will need to investigate what visa obligation you may have.
Institute for International Perspectives
One Barnard Drive
Oceanside, California, United States 92056
We are located on the Oceanside campus in room 3443.
P 760.795.6897 (toll-free outside 760 area code: 888.201.8480 x6897. Contact us via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org