Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for Two-year Colleges was established more than 80 years ago to acknowledge and promote the academic achievements of two-year college students. Membership in Phi Theta Kappa provides opportunities for each student to nurture his or her own personal growth in leadership and service. Phi Theta Kappa is the largest honor society in American higher education.
The purpose of the Alpha Chi Lambda Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at MiraCosta College is the promotion of scholarship, the development of leadership, and service and the cultivation of fellowship among the qualified students at this college. This shall be done through the Phi Theta Kappa Representatives; its Constitution, Bylaws and supporting codes.
Executive Phi Theta Kappa Board 2011 - 2012
- Co-President: Dan Pedry
- Co-President: Brigin Zachry
- Vice President of Public Relations and Fellowship: Tim Nelson
- Vice President of Records and Finance: Michael Ries
- Vice President of Scholarship: Olivia Kosakoff
Who can be a member?
Who can be a member?
Phi Theta Kappa is an elite honors society; consequently, a competitive GPA is required. After no less than 12 units completed, the students overall GPA must be 3.5. Those who meet the standards are normally mailed requests to join, but if a student believes he or she qualifies and did not receive a letter, they can Co-Advisor Julie Bollerud (email@example.com) in the Student Services (room 3447). After completing the online application process and paying the membership fee, the student is officially a PTK member.
How to get involved?
Members can get involved by attending meetings and communicating with officers. This website will also be a key to finding ways to become more active. Committees will be continually formed to address different issues (members are encouraged to participate in such committees), volunteer functions are always being planned by the executive board, and events on campus are fun to attend and organize. We hope to see as many members as possible step up this year and get the most out of their time at MiraCosta College.
- First Day of classes January 14, 2013
- President's Holiday February 15 and 18, 2013
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony - April 19 in the Oceanside Dining Room
- Spring Break March 11-15, 2013
- Commencement May 27, 2013
The Five Star enhanced membership program is designed to encourage membership involvement with incentives. Why be a regular member when you can be a Five Star member? The levels reflect the individual efforts put forth by those who participate. At the end of the year, each person who has fulfilled the requirements for a certain level are awarded with a certificate and a gift from the chapter (based on level obtained). Moreover, those who reach the Five Star level will be awarded with the prizes from every level because they would have needed to fulfill those requirements as well. Hence, each levels requirements must be met to move on to the next level; however, the requirements can be obtained in any order.
Essentially, this program is a way for members to be a part of the chapter and earn recognition for their efforts.
How to Reach Different Levels
One Star Level
- Attend one chapter meeting
- Familiarize self with the Honors Topic via a one page paper
- Volunteer and participate in one ACL sponsored event
Two Star Level
- Attend two chapter meetings
- Participate on a chapter committee
- Attend an Honors Study Topic Seminar
- Familiarize self with the International Service Program via a one page paper
Three Star Level
- Attend three chapter meetings
- Attend two ACL fellowship activities
- Attend three Honors Study Topic Seminars
- Participate in two ACL service activities
Four Star Level
- Attend four chapter meetings
- Participate in two International Service Activities
- Attend four Honors Study Topic Seminars
- Serve as assistant chair of a chapter committee
- Volunteer at a Chapter-sponsored event
Five Star Level
- Attend five chapter meetings or other approved functions
- Participate in five fellowship activities
- Attend five Honors Study Topic Seminars
- Familiarize self with Leadership Hallmark via a one page paper
- Volunteer or participate in three service activities