Add yourself to a Waitlist
- At the SURF Login website, enter your SURF ID and Password. Click Sign In.
- At the top left click on Main Menu > Self Service > Enrollment > Enrollment: Add Classes, select the term and click Continue.
- Enter the class number (e.g. 2567) then click the “enter” button.
- Noticed below that SPAN 101, class number 2567 is closed (full) which is depicted under that Status column by an orange triangle symbol . However, you may place yourself on the waiting list.
- Verify the information then click the Next button.
- To be put on the Waiting List, you must click the Wait List checkbox to insert a check mark.
- Verify the Enrollment Preferences, and click the Next button. (Repeat steps 2 – 6 for any other classes you wish to add)
- Once your shopping cart shows your selected classes, click the Proceed to Step 2 of 3 button.
- Verify the information then click the Finish Enrolling button to complete the process.
- View your results here. The message depicts the following: Class 2567 is full. You have been placed on the wait list in position 4.
- To view your list of classes with their respective status click the My Class Schedule button. Look at the Status column, it will say Waiting.
Important Note: ONCE WAITLISTED, do not try to enroll in the same section or re-wait list. It could cause you to lose your place on the wait list.
The SURF registration system provides the opportunity for students to be placed on a wait list for closed classes. SURF will also use an auto‐enroll system which it will automatically enroll wait‐listed students based on their position number when a seat becomes available. Auto‐enroll will occur on a nightly basis.
MiraCosta will notify students via e‐mail if they have been auto‐enrolled from a wait list into a class. If a student is automatically enrolled in a class, additional fees may be incurred by this enrollment and must be paid within 24 hours or the student will be dropped and not placed back on the wait list.
It is the student’s responsibility to check daily his or her e‐mail and/or the status of his or her wait‐listed classes on SURF. It is also the student’s responsibility to ensure MiraCosta has his or her current e‐mail on file. Please refer to the SURF tutorials on our Student HelpDesk website for instructions on how to update an e‐mail address in SURF.
Students will not be auto‐enrolled from the wait list if any one of the following conditions exists:
- Current enrollment in a different section of the same course.
- Time conflict between a currently enrolled class and the wait‐listed class.
- Corequisites or prerequisites for the wait list class are not met.
- Term unit limit is exceeded: fall and spring, 18.0; summer, 8.0.
- Course repetition: Student is seeking to repeat a course already completed.
If any of the first four conditions listed above exists, the auto‐enroll system will enroll the next wait‐listed student.
Students who are skipped will receive an e‐mail informing them that they were not placed into their wait‐listed class and will remain on the wait list. They will be instructed to resolve the issue(s) if they wish to be placed into the class when another spot opens or they can remove themselves from the wait list.
The fifth condition, course repetition, cannot be resolved in advance. The student must contact the instructor for permission to crash the class. If permission is granted, the student will then take the permission number to the Admissions and Records Office. A petition may be required.
The last day students can add themselves to a wait list is the Saturday before the start of the class. Students will no longer be auto‐enrolled beginning the Sunday before the first day of classes. Beginning on the first day of classes, student enrollment into closed classes will be at the discretion of the instructor. If a student was not automatically enrolled and is still interested in adding classes for which he or she is wait‐listed, the student must attend the class on the first day and obtain a permission number or have an add card signed by the instructor. If it is an online class, students must e‐mail the instructor on or after the first day of class to request a permission number to add the class.
What prevents students from adding themselves to a wait list?
- Enrollment appointment date/time has not yet been reached
- Prerequisites/corequisites for the class are not met
- Maximum units to wait list reached: fall and spring, 18.0; summer, 8.0
- Instructor consent required to enroll in the class
- Student has a hold on his/her account
- The last day to wait list has passed
- Wait list is at its capacity
- Already enrolled in another section of the same class.