Frequently Asked Questions for Parents

Q) Why is it easier to get in to a 4 year university as a transfer than a freshman?

Due to a combination of budget cuts, impaction and other issues, CSU and UC admission criteria for freshmen admits has become very competitive. As a transfer student you can have GUARANTEED admission to 6 UC’s!

Q) How much will I save? 

Approximate costs for a year (2015-16):

*includes estimated campus-based fees for CSU / UC from the Community College League of CA FAST FACTS.

Note, each campus is authorized to charge campus-based mandatory fees in addition to systemwide fees which vary at each school. Please check your university's website for specific cost of attendance.

Please note this information does not include the cost of books!

Q) Will time to graduation as a transfer student be different than a student who entered a University as a freshman?

No. Once you are admitted to a University as a transfer student you have junior status, which is no different than a freshman who will earn junior status in the same way (with units).

Q) Can my child go to graduate school with units from a CCC? Will they be used in the admission GPA?

The units earned at a CCC will allow the student to transfer to a four year University and earn a Bachelor’s Degree. This Bachelor’s Degree is what will allow the student to then apply to a graduate program. The units earned while at a CCC will not be factored in the GPA earned while attending a four year University; however, all units will be considered by the graduate school.

Q) What is done in a Transfer Center counseling session? 

The Counselor will help the student create an Educational Plan, a Term by Term plan, and go over any other questions the student may have.

Q) Can I call the Counselor about my child?

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is a law that protects the privacy of student education records. If your child gives us permission to share information with the parent we can do so.

Q) What does my child have to do to see a Transfer Center Counselor?

In order to schedule an appointment with a TC counselor the following needs to be completed-

Q) What does my child’s time at MCC look like? 

For a B.A. or B.S. you need a minimum 120 semester units; 2-3 years at MCC = 60 units (incl. GE, major prep, electives); 2-3 years at 4 year school + 60 units (major, graduation req., electives)

Q) What is the difference between a CSU, UC, Private or Out of State University?

UC schools are known for their approach in developing students that have strengths in research, theory and studies, while the CSU system is more developed for practical applications and non-research oriented career candidates. This doesn’t mean that one is better than the other, but it does indicate that you should choose according to your post graduate plans.

CSU schools tend to focus on maintaining small, direct class sizes, while UC systems are based on a self-motivated style of learning.

Private Universities receive no state funding so therefore have more costly tuition. Class size tends to be smaller with close faculty interaction. There is a wide range of Private Universities and they should be researched carefully before deciding to apply. Out of State Universities also vary greatly in many aspects and tend to give priority admission to in-state students. We encourage the student who is interested in applying to an out of state university to contact their Admissions Office directly to ask questions.

Q) What is a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)?

TAG’s are admission programs that assure students a place at the university upon completion of specified criteria. Currently MCC offer TAG’s to UC Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.

Q) My child attended an out of state college their freshman year and has recently moved home, can he/she still have guaranteed admission to a UC?


Q) Can I join my child in their appointment with a Transfer Center Counselor?

Yes, you are more than welcome to sit in on the appointment with your student.

Q) Does the Transfer Center provide assistance with filling out the University application(s)?

Yes, the Transfer Center offers UC/CSU application workshops.

Q) Does the Transfer Center offer any other services or workshops that can benefit my child?

Absolutely. The TC offers various specialized workshops such as Transfer Information Nights, Graduate School Event, and Veteran’s Event to name a few. Please check our monthly calendar listings.

Q) Is there an Honors Program at MiraCosta College?

Yes. The MiraCosta College Honors Scholar Program (HSP) centers classes that are academically enriched to stimulate students intellectually, to encourage independent and critical thinking, and to promote close interaction between students and faculty. To learn more about the HSP refer to the Honors web page.

Q) Can you tell me some of the advantages of attending MiraCosta College?

For questions regarding AA programs and certificates please contact the general counseling department.