How to Apply & Enroll in Credit Classes
Welcome to MiraCosta College! Follow these steps to get your education started at MiraCosta College.
New students or students who have not attended for 2 or more semesters (Fall/Spring)
- Apply (clicking this link will take you to another site)
MiraCosta College uses CCCApply to process all of our applications. Submitting an online application is a two-step process. STEP 1: create an OpenCCC account (CCC stands for California Community Colleges). STEP 2: continue to "Start New Application" for MiraCosta College. (see PDF Instructions).
- If you are a continuing student (i.e. have not had two semesters or more off) you do not need to submit a new application.
- If you are a returning student (i.e. have been gone more than two semesters) you will need to follow the steps above to submit a new application.
Get Priority Enrollment
- All students (new and current) must complete matriculation in order to qualify for priority enrollment. Matriculation gets you off to a great start on your college career and leads to higher student success. Matriculation has four parts: assessments, orientation, advisement and education planning. The easiest way to take yourself through all the steps for matriculation is to log into your SURF Account and use the Matriculation Activity Guide!
- Assessments: The assessment process is intended to help place you in courses in which you will thrive. Some students may meet specific criteria to be exempt from taking the English and/or Mathematics Assessments through alternative multiple measures. Contact or visit the Testing Office to determine eligibility for placement based on your high school transcript.
- If you do not meet the criteria, you will have the option to take the Assessments or submit proof of Alternatives to the Assessments such as English/Math Placement results from another California Community College. Students who have completed English and/or Math courses at another regionally accredited college or university and received a grade of 'C' or better ('C- will not count) may submit transcripts along with the Prerequisite/Priority Enrollment Form to Admissions and Records.
- IMPORTANT: Sending an official transcript to MiraCosta College will not automatically clear prerequisites or cause your English/Math to be cleared for priority enrollment you must also submit the Prerequisite/Priority Enrollment Form.
- Education Planning: You will complete a First Semester Abbreviated Educational Plan in the Matriculation Activity Guide. To receive a Comprehensive Educational Plan or update your Educational Plan, meet with a Counselor.
Select your classes
- We have several tools available for you to use while choosing your classes.
- Before your application has been processed by logging onto SURF as a guest. (Click the "View Surf" link under "DON'T HAVE A SURF ID"). In order to search for classes in SURF make sure that you set the correct Term, enter the subject and Course Career = Credit.
- View the class schedule on the Schedules Page.
- View OPEN CLASSES
- View a list of Online courses.
- Once you have your SURF ID you can log into SURF to use our additional state-of-the-art tools:
myEdPlan is an electronic tool to help you see which courses you need to complete your academic goal
Schedule Builder is an electronic tool to help you build your class schedule once you know which classes you need.
Clear your prerequisites (may take 2 - 3 business days)
- If your course(s) require a prerequisite you must clear the prerequisite prior to enrolling for the course.
- Coursework from another school that is being used to clear the prerequisite at MiraCosta must be submitted to Admissions and Records with the Prerequisite/Priority Enrollment Form. MiraCosta will accept Official or Unofficial transcripts for proof of completion of prerequisite coursework as long as the school name, student name, course and grade are clearly visible.
- Placement test from another California Community College may be used to clear the prerequisite at MiraCosta and must be submitted to the Testing Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). See all the alternatives to taking an assessment test.
Other items of importance