Employee Recognition Programs
Outstanding Employee Award - Fall 2015
Lori Babbitt, Administrative Secretary for Math and Sciences, was named the recipient of the fall 2015 Outstanding Employee Award. Here's what her colleagues had to say about her:
- Lori's commitment to excellence is evidenced by the quality of work she offers and a high degree of professionalism she shows to everyone at MiraCosta College.
- Her work is described as flawless.
- She goes above and beyond her responsibilities to help people inside and outside of her department. She's proactive and comes up with great ideas.
- She's flexible to change.
- She shows a positive attitude towards everyone and works with enthusiasm.
- She treats students with respect. She listens carefully to frustrated students and guides them towards the next steps.
- She has enrolled in several classes to work on her professional growth and is always looking for more ways to be better at her job.
- she has brightened up the office and makes sure it is a warm and friendly place. I can't think of anyone more deserving of this award.
Outstanding Employee Award - Spring 2015
Ralph Pickering, Grounds Supervisor, was named the recipient of the spring 2015 Outstanding Employee Award. Here's what his colleagues had to say about him:
- He is a wellspring of outstanding ideas.
- His professional growth allows many of us to grow professionally by learning from him.
- He is constantly studying his field to make sure he's aware of the latest trends.
- He manages projects in a highly professional manner.
- He goes the extra mile day in and day out.
- His commitment to sustainability lends his work a high degree of pragmatism and ethical social responsibility.
- Water usage has been reduced on campus, plants have been changed to more water-wise varieties, chemical usage and the waste stream has been reduced, and recycling is successful at MiraCosta.
- He was instrumental in developing the Veterans Memorial Garden and the citrus grove near the Oceanside student center. These projects would likely have not been realized without Ralph’s extra efforts.
About the Award
Twice a year, fall and spring semester, MiraCosta College recognizes an extraordinary classified staff member with an Outstanding Employee Award. The recipient receives a $500 check and plaque at a college-wide function. Staff are eligible to receive this award one time only during their employment at MiraCosta College. Nominations for Outstanding Employee are accepted in November and April of each year. The following selection procedures are used to identify the recipient of each semester's award:
- Quality of Work: Assignments completed in a timely manner; finished products show a high degree of professionalism; work shows quality and a commitment to excellence.
- Extra Effort: Participation in activities outside of the job description; flexible and accepting of change.
- Positive Attitude: Works with enthusiasm; willing to accept and give constructive criticism; attitude and appearance reflect positively on the institution.
- Cooperation With Others: Works well with other employees; has outstanding working relationships with students, faculty, staff and friends of the college.
- Professional Growth: Shows a commitment to professional growth and development by attending conferences, participating in workshops, and/or enrolling in job-related courses.
- Outstanding Ideas: Contributes to and enhances the college's programs and services with innovative and outstanding ideas.
Click here to view previous Outstanding Employee Award Recipients
This program is funded through the district.
Spotlight Outstanding Service Award
About the Award
The Spotlight Awards for Outstanding Service, Individual and Team Projects recognize outstanding effort that may affect only a single department or small number of employees or that may have campus-wide impact. Nominations for both types of awards are to be made by self or peers whenever employees feel an employee or project is eligible.
Nominations are considered once each year by the Employee Recognition Committee, consisting of the Senate President, Immediate Past President, and two classified senate members. Up to three awards in each category may be presented each year. Award winners will be featured in a Spotlight column in the MiraCostan. This program is funded through Classified Senate Dues.
1. Spotlight Award for Team Projects
Nominations made by self or peers for jobs well done by a group of two or more employees (teams may include non-classified). Award is a certificate of appreciation and the team’s choice of either catered breakfast or lunch (limit $15 per person) ordered from Premier Food Services and delivered to their work site.
2. Spotlight Award for Outstanding Service
Nominations made by self or by peers for outstanding service by a classified employee to students or fellow employees. Each winner will receive:
- $75 check,
- a coupon for one hour of release time, to be pre-arranged with his/her supervisor,
- a certificate of recognition, and
- complimentary enrollment in a MCC Community Services class (up to $75 value).
Click here to view previous Spotlight Award Recipients
Classified School Employee Week
MiraCosta College, in conjunction with the California Education Code, designates the third week in May to honor the many contributions that classified employees make to the educational community.
The Gold Circle Club
Retired classified employees who meet simple requirements in years of service and age are eligible for membership in the Gold Circle Club in recognition of their years of service. The Gold Circle Club serves as a way to maintain an enduring connection with MiraCosta. Click here to learn more about The Gold Circle Club.