University of California (UC) Articulation

Major Preparation

Students intending to transfer to a UC campus will need to identify a major and complete the required admission courses for that major. MiraCosta has articulation agreements with most UC campuses. These agreements, which can be viewed at, tell students which courses at MiraCosta can satisfy a major requirement at a specific UC campus. The UC transfer course agreement, which is a listing of all courses from MiraCosta that transfer to any UC campus for major, general education, or elective units can also be viewed at

General Education IGETC (Plan C)

To earn a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, students must also complete a program of general education (GE). Students have the option of completing either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum IGETC, (Plan C) pattern or a campus-specific lower-division GE pattern. The articulated IGETC pattern will be the best choice for most students transferring to a UC campus, however, students who intend to transfer into majors that require extensive lower-division preparation, such as engineering or the physical and natural sciences, should concentrate on completing the many prerequisite courses for the major that the UC will screens to determine eligibility for admission.

All students intending to transfer to the University of California are strongly advised to make an appointment with the Transfer Center or with a MiraCosta College Counselor to develop an education plan that focuses on specific UC campus major course requirements and the completion of general education requirements.