- You must have an Application for Admission on file before you complete the placement process, unless you are assessing for another college. Submit at miracosta.edu/apply.
- Students assessing for another college must pay the $30 assessment fee at the Student Accounts office prior to the assessment. Please check the Student Accounts website for hours of operation.
- Review your overall US high school GPA and the grades you earned in the high school English and mathematics courses you’ve completed as represented by your high school transcripts. Prepare to share this information on the application or with Testing Services.
- Appropriate photo identification will be required to take the English, ESL and/or mathematics assessment exams.
- MiraCosta students may take the math and ESL placement exams twice and must wait at least 24 hours before retesting.
- Contact the Testing Office at 760.795.6685 or email@example.com if you have questions or need more information.
Q. What assessments does MiraCosta offer?
A. For the math and English placement, we offer Guided Self-Placement Tools. For ESL we offer the Accuplacer ESL assessment. Many students will be eligible for placement using Multiple Measures (high school GPA and coursework) submitted through the MiraCosta application or shared with the Testing Center.
Q. I'm planning on taking the assessment for another college. What do I need to know?
A. If you are taking the ESL assessment for another college or institution there is a $30.00 fee, payable through our Student Accounts office. Please note that their office hours differ from the Testing Center, so be sure to check the Student Accounts website before coming to campus. Please check with your home institution to ensure that they will accept our placements.
Q. I already hold a college degree. Can I enroll in a math course without completing the math placement process?
A. Any student who holds a B.A. degree or higher is eligible to take Math 30. For higher courses proof of the prerequisite is required.
Q. What if I am a student with a disability needing an accommodation?
A. If you have a disability needing an accommodation, you may wish to contact the Disabled Students Program and Services Office (Rm 3006 at the Oceanside campus, ext. 6658).
Q. Do I need to bring anything with me to the Testing Center for the placement process?
A. YES! You must present positive photo identification (i.e., a current driver's license or state I.D. card with photo, school I.D., high school yearbook (picture with name), military I.D. or a passport). Any necessary materials for taking the assessment will be provided.