Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to bring with me?

If you have never applied for Veterans Administration education benefits we need the following:

Contribution information may be noted on your DD 214.  If so, no other documentation is required. If not, please provide either a receipt or Leave And Earning Statements showing the additional contribution.

Veterans eligible under the old GI Bill Chapter 34 will need to supply the following:

How many units do I need to draw benefits at MiraCosta College?

Montgomery GI Bill Recipients (Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607)

12+ units = full-time
9-11 ½ units = three-quarters time
6-8 ½ units = half-time

1-5 units = less than half-time(payment is tuition and fees only)

Post 9/11 GI Bill Recipients (Chapter 33)

Currently, the monthly basic housing allowance is paid by the VA based on 'rate of pursuit'.  The housing allowance is paid if the student’s rate of pursuit is more than 50%. Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives or doesn’t receive the housing allowance. If pursuit is more than 50% (seven units or more) the student receives the housing allowance. If pursuit 50% or less (six units or less) the student doesn’t receive the housing allowance.

How much is my monthly benefit?

Visit for current rates.

What if I am on terminal leave and will be attending MiraCosta College?

We will certify you for the whole semester, however, for the period prior to your discharge we will notify the Veterans Administration of your tuition and fees (as required by the Veterans Administration). Once you have been officially separated from the service and provide a DD-214, the normal amount of benefit will begin.

How does the Veterans Administration know what I am doing?

The personnel in the MiraCosta College Veterans Services Office will keep the Veterans Administration apprised of your status. However, it is imperative that you notify our office of any changes in your enrollment status, address, major, objective etc. in a timely manner. You may do so by stopping by the office on the Oceanside Campus, contacting us by telephone 760.757.2121 x6285, or by e-mail at

Does it matter what courses I take?

Yes. In order to maintain the benefits, you MUST be in courses that are directly related to your objective or degree. It is of vital importance that you work closely with an academic counselor and follow an education plan.

How do I receive my benefit checks?

Direct deposit is available to all benefit recipients.  Contact the VA for assistance, 1-888-442-4551, in setting up direct deposit.

What happens if I fail a class?

Instructors are required to report the last date of attendance for any failing grades or withdrawals.  The date will be reported to the Veteran's Administration and may result in an over-payment situation.

Am I eligible for Financial Aid?

You will need to check with the MiraCosta College Financial Aid Office.

Do I need to do anything if I am continuing from the previous semester?

YES! If you know you will be attending the next semester, you must come into the MiraCosta College Veterans Services Office to complete the 'Letter of Intent' (LOI). The LOI must be filled out EACH semester AFTER enrolling in your courses if you plan to utilize your benefits.

Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients:  To avoid being dropped from your classes; you must complete the 'Letter of Intent' the same day you enroll.

What happens if I am put on probation due to poor grades or dropping too many classes?

Students who are placed on either Academic Probation or Progress Probation or any type of Dismissal must improve their academic standing by the end of the following semester or they will no longer be eligible Veteran's Benefits.  Students are urged to take advantage of tutorial assistance as soon as academic difficulties begin.