Child Development is the study of the social/emotional, cognitive/language, and physical/motor, growth and development of children, from conception through adolescence. Students may take courses to obtain child development certificates and permits, earn an associate in arts degree, and/or prepare to transfer to a four-year institution. Students who are already working in the field may take courses that are of interest to them and can optimize their knowledge base in child development.
Career options include a variety of professions serving children and their families such as infant/toddler care, preschool teaching (including Head Start), elementary and secondary education, early childhood special education, program administration, school counseling, child psychology, child advocacy, social work, and community services.
The San Marcos resident was lacking a clear vision of what she wanted in her future after graduating from High Tech High North County. So, a couple years later, Walker decided to give MiraCosta College a try and study child development. “MiraCosta is focused on a student’s end goal,” Walker said. “It’s focused on a student’s success, in everything from the application process to student support services, to helping you find financial aid and finding a job. Everything is accessible, and the teachers are passionate about what they do.”Read More About Chelise-
Academic Programs in Child Development
The academic maps will give you an idea of the classes you need to take. However, please meet with a counselor to personalize your education plan.
KEY: Certificate of Proficiency Certificate of Achievement Associate Degree Bachelor's Degree
|Associate Teacher (MCC GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Associate Teacher (CSU GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Child and Adolescent Development for Transfer||CAREERS|
|Early Childhood Education for Transfer||MAP||CAREERS|
|Early Intervention and Inclusion||CAREERS|
|Master Teacher (MCC GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Master Teacher (CSU GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Site Supervisor (MCC GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Site Supervisor (CSU GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Teacher (MCC GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
|Teacher (CSU GE)||MAP||CAREERS|
- Child Development Career Options Video: Learn all about career options in Child Development.
- The Child Development Center:
Learn about as a campus-based child development program providing both academic instruction to students and childcare services to student, staff, and community families.
- Child Development Training Consortium: Child Development Training Consortium (CDTC) provides services, training, technical assistance, and resources to students and professionals working with and for children.
- Child Development Permits - California: Find details on the requirements for Child Development Permits (Child Development Assistant, Associate, Teacher, Master Teacher, Site Supervisor and Program Director)
- SDCOE Educator Preparation: This resource is designed to provide guidance that will help support the journey to becoming and growing as an educator.
- Request Additional Information: Learn more about all that MiraCosta College has to offer.