The Social Justice and Equity Center (SJEC) is a student-driven space inside the Student Center (Building 3400 on the Oceanside Campus), where students can research, work, and organize around issues related to social justice and/or equity.
A space for students to engage the greater community in order to advocate for access to and success within higher education while promoting a more understanding and welcoming campus culture for socially marginalized groups and peoples, with the ultimate objective of creating social justice and equity in our communities.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will have an increased understanding of multiple and intersecting dimensions of identity and inequity through the study of social justice and equity topics on the historical, cultural, political, and/or social experiences of marginalized communities.
- Students will have an increased knowledge of causes and impact of privilege, power, and oppression and cultivate tools for overcoming conflict and promoting equality.
- Students will be more capable to recognize and critique local, national, or global conditions that enable, perpetuate and/or challenge social injustice and inequity.
- Remember that this is a space for learning and growing. Be patient with yourself and others.
- Speak from your own experience to support your ideas and avoid speaking for others or generalizing.
- Please pay attention to your “airtime” – how much you have spoken in relation to others.
- Don’t interrupt.
- Don’t put down or judge the ideas of another person you may disagree with. Given alternate
interpretations or ask
follow-up questions to help clarify.
- Above all, treat everyone in this space with respect and dignity.
Follow Us on Social Media
Want to Support Our Work?
Student Services Coordinator
The Social Justice and Equity Center (SJEC) is a service of the Department of Student Equity. For general inquiries about all Student Equity programs and services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our main office at 760.757.2121 x6900.