Log In To Canvas
Online Education Support Resources
- Online Tutoring
- Online Writing Center
- Online Library Support
- Online Open Computer Lab
- Online Math Learning Center (Tutoring)
- Online STEM Learning Center (Tutoring)
- Faculty Support for Online Education
- Student Orientation to Online Learning
- Online Counseling & Advising
- Online Career Center
- Student Help Desk
- After Hours Online Tutoring - Western eTutoring Consortium
Education: Anytime, Anywhere
Did you know that each year, MiraCosta College offers over 600 hybrid and fully online classes, and half of all MiraCosta students take a distance education class? View a list of all of these classes in the current and upcoming semesters. Many instructors provide detailed information to help you decide if a particular class is right for you, and to learn how to get started in an online class.
Considering Online Classes?
- This Distance Education Readiness Assessment can help you decide if online courses are right for you
- Use this checklist if you need to know how to enroll in an online class at MiraCosta
- Review these tips for success as an online learner and the technical requirements for taking an online class
Student Orientation to Online Learning (SOOL)
- MiraCosta offers many Student Orientation to Online Learning 1-hour workshops online and in person during the first several weeks of each semester. Faculty can learn more about the content of the SOOL and how to know which students have attended a SOOL session.
- MiraCosta students can self-enroll in the Canvas Student Orientation to Online Learning course to have access to all the resources and practice opportunities provided there. Note, though, that students must attend a session live in order to be credited with completing this.
- You may view a recording of the 1-hour workshop (and an extra 15 minute online library research orientation immediately following)
from spring 2021. Use the playback bar or the interactive transcript on the left to
navigate to the most useful parts of the video for you:
- 0 - 9:31 - Introduction to the session and to using Zoom
- 9:32 - 14:53 - Discussion of using the annotation tool in Zoom, and the benefits and challenges that come with the flexibility of taking classes online
- 14:54 - 16:25 - Overview of the content for the rest of the session
- 16:27 - 28:14 - Question-driven discussion about (1) the differences (benefits and challenges) of online learning compared to classroom-based learning; and (2) ways to manage your time to ensure you keep up with your online classes. Unfortunately the recording does not capture the interactive questions that were shown during the session, but the questions, answers, and responses from the live participants are described.
- 28:15 - 30:37 - Transition, getting the participants to self-enroll in the Canvas Student Orientation to Online Learning course.
- 30:38 - 33:03 - Overview of the Student Orientation to Online Learning course along with discussion of Canvas course navigation.
- 33:04 - 42:47 - Discussion of resources supporting selecting, enrolling, and starting strong in online MiraCosta classes.
- 42:48 - 51:28 - Overview of Canvas practice area inside the course, demonstration of Canvas global navigation features, and discussion of the Canvas Student mobile app.
- 51:29 - 54:14 - Demonstration of how to access various online resources through Canvas including Tech Support and the Student Support Hub with online tutoring, writing center, counseling, and more.
- 54:52 - 59:59 Demonstration of library resources and tools accessible through Canvas.
- 1:00:00 - 1:01:22 Main session conclusion and transition
- 1:01:23-1:17:58 More in-depth demonstration of library research resources
Looking for Online Student Support?
- Free online tutoring is available to all MiraCosta students
- The MiraCosta Writing Center provides online writing feedback to any MiraCosta student
- The Student Help Desk provides technical support via phone, email, and live chat
- Live text chat with a librarian is available 24x7 at the upper right of the library website
- MiraCosta counselors are available online for counseling and advising
- Or see a listing of all MiraCosta student service websites