Marie Higareda de Ochoa, Assistant Principal, El Camino High School
"It is important for high school students to participate in dual enrollment programs in order to familiarize themselves with the requirements of a college level course. Through the partnership between OUSD and Mira Costa, these courses, textbooks and materials are provided to our high school students free of charge. This gives our students the opportunity to earn college credits at no cost to them. Students who have participated in this program have not only earned college credits, they have earned the self confidence that comes with this accomplishment."-
Initiating Dual Enrollment
Submit a Dual Enrollment Interest Form for each course you are interested in offering at your high school. Make sure to get the consent from your Principal before filling out the form.
MiraCosta works with each district and school to ensure there is a balanced offering of courses within a pathway that allows students to complete their general education requirements and/or college certificate. Once courses are confirmed, we will schedule them and provide the school lead contacts with the course numbers, so students can complete their required steps.
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. If this occurs, high school counselors are responsible for informing students and helping them find an alternative dual or concurrent enrollment class.
Student Registration and Enrollment
- The school district collects information about students interested in dual enrollment.
- Some districts ask students/parents to submit Intent to Enroll form, while others just ask students to notify their counselor.
- Counselors provide a list of interested students to MiraCosta College (using a shared spreadsheet - for link, contact email@example.com).
- Counselors ensure students complete all steps of the Dual Enrollment registration process.
- MCC Admissions & Records enrolls students into courses.
- Please visit the following resources for introductory material on the program and
details about the enrollment process:
Spring 2022 Dual Enrollment 101--Orientation for Counselors (slides)
Spring 2022 Dual Enrollment Orientation for CUSD Counselors (zoom recording)
Resources for Your Students
Your students can take advantage of the student services offered to MiraCosta students, including tutoring, counseling, library services, and much more. Refer to our Student Service Guide for more information.