The Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI) is designed to help students develop the leadership skills they need to become stronger leaders in their classes, in their student organizations, in their chosen professions, and in their communities. ELI will supplement what students learn in the classroom by connecting them with practicalknowledge through community service, service learning and other co-curricular activities.
- To connect leadership learning opportunities with the daily leadership demands of students involved with co-curricular or community service activities.
- To improve leadership competencies and enhance future leadership potential.
- To develop practical application and increase understanding of leadership skills.
Students must attend and complete nine workshops covering introductory leadership topics. The nine topics are presented in six sessions throughout the fall semester and repeated again in the spring. A student is able to complete the entire ELI program within a semester and, if necessary, can make up any missed sessions in the following semester. Participants will begin their leadership experience by taking a strengths assessment which will act as the foundaiton for learning. Sessions are offered on Fridays, once per month. Leadership activity assignments will be given for students to complete between sessions in order to supplement learning and a final sharing or presentation of one's learning will be asked of each participant. Students who complete ELI will receive a certificate of completion in leadership from the Office of Student Life & Leadership.
Students are encouraged to participate in an on-campus organization (ASG, Chariot Newspaper, Student Ambassadors, clubs, peer advisor); or demonstrate involvement in an appropriate off-campus organization (community service, service learning, youth group, volunteerism).
- Conflict Resolution (CR)
- Leadership Styles (LS)
- Leadership & Diverse Communities (LDC)
- Ethical Decision Making (EDM)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (TC)
- Time Management (TM)
- Vision & Goal Setting (VGS)
- Creating Networks (CN) .
- Leadership & Life Balance(LLB)
Benefits of the Program
- Students will develop more confidence because of acquired leadership skills.
- Students will network, develop relationships and build alliances with other MiraCosta College students, faculty and staff, as well as community leaders.
- Students will develop skills needed to have an impact on the community.
- Students will better understand how to apply leadership in their personal lives.
- Students will develop confidence in the ability to explore challenging issues.