Pilipinx American Heritage
To build an inclusive community; foster belonging; and provide a platform for Pilipinx-American students to impact change and promote history, culture, and opportunities.
Building PAHMilya Conference
October is Pilipinx American History Month (PAHM) and we are following up last year’s inaugural PAHM events with a half-day conference entitled “Building PAHMilya” (Pamilya is the Tagalog word for family) on Friday, October 19 from 10:30AM to 3:15PM at MiraCosta College.
Flyer and Schedule
View and download the flyer.
Here is the schedule for the conference:
- 10:00AM - 10:50AM: Registration, Resource Fair, and Light Refreshments at the Fountain and Pavilion
- 11:00AM - 11:50AM: Welcome and Keynote Speech (Cristine Sidela) at the Fountain and Pavilion
- 12:15PM - 1:00PM: Workshops in various rooms
- 1:15PM - 2:45PM: Lunch and Breakout Groups in the Cafeteria (OC 3400s, Student Center)
- 2:45PM - 3:15PM: Closing in the Cafeteria (OC 3400s, Student Center)
*Parking: Please park in parking lot 2B, 3B, or 3C. View the Oceanside Campus map for parking.
Register for the Building PAHMilya Conference
There are two ways to register.
- Register by paper. Please complete the PAHM Interest Form and email it to email@example.com.
- Register online below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Pilipinx?
While the term Filipino/a is traditionally used to depict this population, the planning committee felt the need to be culturally appropriate as there is no "F" in the alphabet. The "x" replaces the "o/a" to beinclusive of those with unique gender identities.
How do I become eligible for a prize from attending PAHM?
Attend and/or participate in three or more PAHM activities during the conference by receiving stamps or signatures from the events' presenters and/or PAHM volunteers. Turn in your point card (only given at the conference) at the registration table or a PAHM volunteer.
Other PAHM Happenings
Also in celebration of PAHM, MiraCosta College has library displays!
- Virtual Display: https://library.miracosta.edu/pilipinx– This is an online display featuring items from the library’s collections including books, ebooks, biographies of famous people, and online films and documentaries.
- Physical Display: Oceanside Campus Library Lobby (Bldg. 1200) – This display showcases artifacts, books, clothing, and art relating to Pilipinx history and culture.
Thank you, Richard Ma, Judy Opdahl, Steven Deineh, and the librarians for putting them together!
Thank you to our supporters!
- MiraCosta College Student Equity Department
- PAHM Planning Committee
Yasmine Willis Fernandez
Vice President Alketa Wojcik, Student Services
Dr. Wendy Stewart, Counseling & Student Development
Jonathan Gomez, Outreach & Diversity
Bea Palmer, Service Learning
Sinclaire Tirona, Testing
Jade Hidle, English
Don and Jocelyn Love
Mana Program Student Leaders
Advocates, Service Learning
Ambassadors, Outreach & Diversity
For questions, concerns, or submissions, please contact: