The Nordson STEM Learning Center
The Nordson Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Center is located in the Library on the Oceanside campus. The Nordson STEM Center provides drop-in tutoring and counseling for students in Chemistry, Physics, Math, Biology, Biotechnology, Physical Science and Computer Science courses.
Students are able to study independently or in group study rooms that can be reserved. Many resources are available including faculty office hours, laptops, textbooks, anatomical and molecular models.
Reserve a Study Room
This Weeks News
Tuesday, February 20th
- Chemical Nomenclature Workshops - 3 pm - 4 pm – This one-hour workshop will focus on how to name Chemical Compounds, how to write chemical formula, for both ionic and covalent compounds. Suitable for all levels of chemistry and biology!
Wednesday, February 21st
- Vectors (Part 1) – 1:30 pm – 2:15 pm – This 45min workshop for physics students will cover the concept of vectors, and how to add and subtract vectors.
- Chemical Nomenclature Workshops - 6:30 pm -7:30 pm
Thursday, February 22nd
- Vectors (Part 2) – 1:30 pm – 2:15 pm – This 45min workshop for physics students will cover the concept dot product and cross product.
Saturday, February 24th
- Super Drop-In Counseling – 10:00am – 4:45 pm - Meet with Lise and her team of Transfer specialists this from in the new OC Library STEM Center. Students can walk in first come, first served for:
- Ed plans to maintain priority enrollment
- Grad school exploration
- Setting transfer goals
- Supplemental transfer docs & apps
- Transfer deadlines
- Explore transfer data & odds of being admitted
- General Q&A
Tuesday, February 27th
- Note-Taking Techniques- 12 noon - 12:30 pm - In just 30 min learn and practice two note-taking techniques specifically designed for enhancing your science reading.
- Presenter: Anne Fleming, Writing Center. Location: STEM Center, OC 1216.
Friday, March 2nd
- "Hacking the Planets: from Ancient Plants to Terraforming Mars" - 11 am - 12:30 pm. Come join us for the First Friday informal discussion between Professors Jonathan Cole, Jeff Ihara and Joe Salamon, as they discuss climate change and paleobotany. All faculty, staff and students are welcome. Come participate or kick back and listen to what proves to be a lively discussion!
Contact Information, Location, and Hours
P 760.757.2121 x6388
The STEM Center is located downstairs in the MiraCosta Library on the Oceanside campus.
- M-Th: 8am - 9pm
- Fri: 8am - 3pm
- Sat: 10am - 5pm
- Drop-In Tutoring for STEM courses by Peer Tutors and Instructional Assistants
- Drop-In STEM counseling
- Group study rooms with whiteboards and LED monitors
- Check out of learning aids (anatomy and chemistry models, textbooks, laptops with course related software.
- Independent study
- Faculty office hours held in STEM center
- Online chats with professors
- Student success workshops
- STEM career and seminar talks
- Soft seating area to build community amongst students
- STEM Social Events to meet other students, scientists and professors.