Chemistry is the science of the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter, especially of atomic and molecular systems. Students may take courses to prepare for a chemistry major, to fulfill general education requirements, and to meet prerequisites for related courses and programs.
Career options include the medical, health, engineering, industrial, governmental, environmental, and teaching fields.
Julia Hernandez graduated a year early from high school with a 4.6 grade point average, she helps take care of her younger brother, she is thriving in her first year at MiraCosta College, and she plans on earning a Ph.D. in chemistry from UC Berkeley. “I had taken a couple dual enrollment classes at MiraCosta when I was in high school, so I was pretty familiar with the campus,” she said. “It was also close by, so I could stay at home and help my mom take care of my little brother. And it is very affordable. It was just the best option for me.”Read More About Julia-
Academic Programs in Chemistry
The academic maps will give you an idea of the classes you need to take. However, please meet with a counselor to personalize your education plan.
KEY: Certificate of Proficiency Certificate of Achievement Associate Degree Bachelor's Degree
|Chemistry Major Prep||MAP|
- Chemistry Career Options Video: Learn all about career options in Chemistry.
- Lab Support: Complete this form and let us know how we can provide lab assistance.
- STEM Center: Discover FREE student supports to ensure successful completion of your courses.
- Tutoring & Academic Support Center (TASC): Take a free Student Success Workshop or receive academic assistance free of charge.
- Chemistry Resource Center
View course tests, tutorials, drills, and other Chemistry student resources.
- Chemistry Challenge Exam
Take the challenge if you have chemistry knowledge, but without one year of HS chemistry.
- Request Additional Information:Learn more about all that MiraCosta College has to offer.
- Gainful Employment Program Disclosure:
Discover the success of our students in certificate programs that lead to employment.