The Black Community Ally Training (BCAT) is a self-paced 4-part interactive training designed to increase participants’ understanding of anti-Black racism and strengthen strategies and skills to advance racial equity for the Black community at MiraCosta College. The BCAT focuses on four critical components:
- a foundational understanding of Black history and events that have given rise to the current climate impacting the Black community
- the experience of Black students, staff, and faculty at MiraCosta with an emphasis on Black student equity data
- defining Black allyship in the context of anti-Black racism and serving as an active advocate for ending racial inequality
- strategies for how to serve as a Black ally at MiraCosta and apply what you have learned in the training to your role at the college
The training is open to all MiraCosta employees (staff and faculty). Participants will work with a cohort of peers across 4-5 weeks navigating through 4 modules in a Canvas course. The training is designed for 1 module to be completed each week with approximately 2 hours of work expected in each module. The 4th module requires participants to attend a 1.5 hour in-person zoom session focused on how to apply and put into practice what you learned. Supervisors are encouraged to support staff/faculty interested in attending the live session during work hours. The BCAT is flex eligible.
To sign-up for the BCAT:
- Complete the BCAT application/Pre-Survey
- You will receive a confirmation email with dates for your cohort class and live session
- Start the training!
For questions, please contact email@example.com