Watch a recorded presentation by MiraCosta Financial Aid Office on financial aid for the 2022 Summer in Florence study abroad program.
- Study abroad at MiraCosta resumes with Study Abroad to Florence, Italy in Summer 2022. Program brochure and information meetings listed on the new webpage on MiraCosta Engage.
- Take the time to prepare for study abroad in your future! Here are important steps
for students to get prepared:
- Students planning for a MiraCosta summer study abroad programs apply for financial aid at MiraCosta College, federal school code: 001239
- Do you receive a Pell Grant? Consider the Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad Visit the Gilman Scholarship website to make sure you are eligible to apply. Learn how to create a compelling application by viewing the How to Apply for the Gilman Scholarship presentation and get started on your international experience today!
- New! Study abroad scholarship for child dependents of active duty service members. Find out how to apply today!
- Find more scholarships to help you study abroad: MiraCosta Scholarship Office, StudyAbroad.com, and Fund for Education Abroad
- Plan ahead! Fall 2022 in London Sign an Interest Form or attend an Information hosted by Citrus College, a California community college in Los Angeles. For Semester length programs, send your Financial Aid report to federal school code 001166.
What is Study Abroad?
Study abroad is an opportunity to travel outside the United States with California community college professors and fellow California students for the purpose of earning academic credit related to your educational goals. MiraCosta College, participates in a semester-length study abroad program each fall and spring semesters.
Where can I study?
- Florence, Italy in Summer 2022
- London, England in Fall 2022
Who is eligible to participate in Study Abroad programs?
MiraCosta College students can participate in MiraCosta College-sponsored Study Abroad programs if they have completed a minimum of 12 academic credit units and have a cumulative GPA of greater than 2.5. Classes are taught by California professors so there are are no foreign language requirements. All Study Abroad participants must be over 18 years old. Feel free to contact the International Office with any questions regarding eligibility requirements.
How much does Study Abroad cost?
Students pay tuition fees to a California community college at the same rate as if you were taking courses on campus. Program fees cover airfare, housing, in-country support services, travel insurance, and other group travel expenses in the host country. For semester-length programs, program fees range from $9,000 to $10,000. Study Abroad fees do not cover personal expenses, meals, or independent travel expenses. Financial aid is available to qualified students. Scholarships are also available.
Why Study Abroad?
Study abroad can be a life changing experience that gives students the opportunities to learn about another culture first-hand and improve or learn new foreign language in an environment that can't be replicated in a classroom. Students have the chance to travel and make connections around the world, expanding their world views, all while earning transfer-level coursework at reasonable prices. Study abroad builds personal and professional skills that will distinguishes you in the job market. Read about past participants in our international newsletter.
Are there scholarships for Study Abroad?
In a word: YES! All students interested in study abroad should apply for Federal financial aid through the FAFSA application. Before you submit your FAFSA form, contact the International Office for instructions on which schools are awarding financial aid to Study Abroad participants. Next, visit the International Office to learn about scholarship opportunities specifically for Study Abroad participants.
The Gilman Scholarship is a federally-funded program to support students at 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities to study abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are granted to students participating in school-approved programs, depending on the length of study and student financial need. U.S. citizens who are receiving a federal Pell Grant as a part of the federal financial aid award (FAFSA) are eligible to apply.
Here are sample websites with scholarships for study abroad:
- StudyAbroad.com Scholarships
- Fund for Education Abroad
- MSU Information on Study Abroad Scholarship for Multicultural Studies
Do I need a visa to travel on a MiraCosta study abroad program?
We design the length of our programs to be less than 90 days so U.S. citizens do not need to apply for a visa. If students choose to stay longer than 90 days, or if you travel with a passport other than U.S. passport, you will need to investigate what visa obligation you may have.