Hello and thank you for your interest in Supplemental Instruction. We’re glad that you're here. We want to encourage you to apply, but before you do, there are some things we thought you should know. Please carefully read through the information below. If you're still interested in working with SI, fill out our interest form below, and we’ll contact you soon!
Supplemental Instruction Leader Job Description
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic support program that targets historically difficult courses. SI sessions are regularly scheduled, out-of-class collaborative sessions for all students enrolled in a targeted course. The sessions are informal group study sessions in which students review notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, and prepare for examinations.
The SI sessions are facilitated by "SI leaders," students who are prepared to share with other students how to effectively study for the course and how to maximize their potential for academic success. SI leaders are there to support classroom instruction. Likewise, the SI program is offered only in classes where the faculty member understands and supports Supplemental Instruction.
- A grade of B or higher in the selected course
- Provide a recommendation from the professor of the course
- Have willingness to learn new skills
- Be able to work 8-10 hours per week
- Be a model student who understands the importance and application of effective study skills and strategies
- Seek to expand leadership skills
- Possess good organizational and time management skills (SI Leaders are responsible for submitting attendance sheets, lesson plans, and time in a timely manner)
- Attend the assigned class, take notes, and participate in discussions
- Ascertain course requirements and attend weekly meetings with the course professor throughout the semester
- Actively recruit participants for SI sessions
- Conduct two 50-minute SI sessions and one Drop-in hour for each of your assigned sections throughout the semester
- Be prepared and be on time for each SI session
- Be familiar with campus resources available to students
- Plan SI sessions using a wide variety of the interactive learning strategies (without re-teaching, lecturing or completing students’ assignments for them)
- Prepare handouts, informal quizzes, and other learning aids for SI sessions
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times
- Attend a paid monthly SI leader training meeting
- Collect attendance data for every session
- Submit a session planning sheet by 1pm on the day before the scheduled SI session
MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit: https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html.
- SI Information Sessions
Fill out our interest form, and the SI Program team will schedule an SI Information Session. These sessions begin Oct. 25
- Application Collection & Review
Turn in your Application and Professor Recommendation by Nov. 14
- Interview Invites
We will send out invitations to interview on Nov. 16.
- Interview Dates
If you’re invited to interview for a position, you will be asked to schedule your interview between Nov. 16 and Nov. 30. * Please note, there will not be interviews over the Thanksgiving Holiday.
- Training Begins!
Mandatory training starts on Jan 10th, 2022
* Dates subject to change
If being a Supplemental Instruction Leader still interests you, fill out our interest form, and we will follow up with you shortly to schedule an SI informational meeting with the team!