What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is a Web-based learning management system (LMS) designed to support fully online courses or provide a space for face-to-face course supplementation. Blackboard provides many types of tools and features for enriching the learning experience. For information about online courses being offered currently, please visit our Distance Education website.
How does it work?
Blackboard integrates with SURF; thus, student enrollments and faculty assignments are handled automatically by the system. Fully functional modules provide tools for displaying content, interacting with students, and assessing students’ work. Blackboard supports various media types:
- Audio and video, for example YouTube videos, Wimba voice boards, and Elluminate Live!
- Discussion and journaling tools for interacting with students and encouraging them to engage with the content.
- A powerful, interactive grade center and assessment tools enable instructors to record and assess students’ work.
Assignments, Exams, Grades, Turnitin, etc...
- Top Ten Things to do before taking an exam in Blackboard (Instructions)
- How to take a Test Online (Video)
- How to submit my assignments (Video)
- How to use Turnitin and view its results (Instructions | Video)
- How to view my course grades (Video)
- How to view my Discussion Board Grades (Video)
- How to interact with the Discussion Board (Video)
- How to search in a Discussion Board (Video)
- How to create a Blog Entry (Video)
- How to create and edit a Wiki Page (Video)
- How to link Wiki Pages (Video)
- How to email your instructor through BlackBoard (Instructions | Video)
- How to Set-up your Blackboard Profile (Video)
- How to Update Your E-mail Address (Instructions | Video)
- How to Update Your Cell Phone Number to Received Text Messages from Blackboard (Instructions | Video)
- How to Set-up Blackboard Notifications via email, SMS Text Messages or Text to Voice Messages (Video)
- Setting your Privacy options (Video)
SURF ID and Password Tools
Blackboard Faculty Resources