LVN-RN Nursing Program
This is a full time program, begining every summer. Please refer to the current Class Schedule for course days and times. However, the schedule is subject to change without notice.
- Studies show that nursing students who work more than 24 hours per week (even in the health care setting) tend not to be successful in an RN program. It is highly recommended to restrict working hours
Admission Requirements and Application
* New admission requirement - Applicants must apply to MiraCosta and receive a student ID number before submitting an application to the program.
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis.
Applications received by February 29, 2016 will be considered for the Summer 2016 class. Those received after that date, will be considered for the following year. Notification will be sent by April.
Eligibility Requirements for the LVN-RN Program
ALL of the following must be met in order to be eligible to APPLY to the LVN-RN Career Ladder Program.
- California Vocational Nursing License in good standing and six months work experience working as an LVN.
- Overall cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.5 for all college coursework
- Completion of the following science PREREQUISITES with a combined G.P.A. of 2.5 with no grade less than "C" for each course and no more than one repetition for a substandard grade or withdrawal in any one of the 3 courses:
- Human Anatomy (BIO210) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Human Physiology (BIO220) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Microbiology (BIO230) – 4 - 5 semester units or equivalent
Notes: Starting fall 2012, NURS151 is no longer accepted as the prerequisite for BIO210 and/or BIO220. Physiology and Microbiology must be completed within 7 years and Anatomy within 10 years preceding the qualifying date of eligibility.
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITES with a grade of no less than “C”
- Composition and Reading (ENGL00) – 4 semester units or equivalent
- Intermediate Algebra (MATH64) – 4 semester units or equivalent (or a passing score on the Math Placement Test)
- Pharmacology Review &Update (PHAR201) – 2 semester units or equivalent
- Students who do not meet the G.P.A. or course repetition requirement should check with the Nursing Department for other options.
- Those students holding a bachelor’s degree in another discipline from a U.S. nationally accredited institution will not be required to take any other general education requirements for the A.S. Registered Nursing degree.
- One official transcript in a sealed envelope from each college and university attended, including MiraCosta College, must be submitted with your application to the program.
- Testing Requirement: All students must pass the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) version 5.0. Previous versions are no longer accepted. This is a diagnostic test that covers basic Math, Reading, and Science. Students may prepare for this test by going to the ATI testing site, then go to ASSESSMENTS; and then go to Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency. If a foreign degree was earned, the evaluation must state its equivalency to a U.S. degree.
Denial of Licensure
- The California Board of Registered Nursing may deny a license regulated by the Business and Professional Code, Section 480, on such grounds as: being convicted of a crime, acts of dishonesty, fraud or deceit. All students selected for enrollment in the nursing program will be assessed for past criminal activity prior to clinical experiences. Please contact the Program Director if you have questions.
For applicants who are notified that they have been accepted for enrollment in the program, there are additional requirements