The fitness industry continues to experience rapid growth and an ongoing need for trained instructors and trainers in health clubs, fitness centers, and sports medicine clinics. Opportunities are expected to be better for fitness trainers and aerobic instructors because of this rapid growth. MiraCosta’s Personal Fitness Training program will be working with many local fitness facilities to help students take advantage of top employment opportunities upon successful completion of the certificate.
The U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook in their analysis of job growth for recreation and fitness workers indicate overall employment of recreation and fitness workers is expected to grow faster than average for all occupations through 2012. Increasing numbers of people are spending more time and money on recreation, fitness, and leisure services. More businesses are recognizing the benefits of recreation and fitness programs, and other services such as wellness programs.
Employment of fitness workers who are concentrated in the rapidly growing arts, entertainment and recreation industry is expected to increase much faster than average due to rising interest in personal training, aerobics instruction and other fitness activities (www.bls.gov).
At the regional level, the State of California Employment Development Department’s Labor Market Information projects the average number of annual job openings in the San Diego area from 2001-2008 to be 131, with a projected number of 2,970 Fitness Trainers and Aerobic Instructors employed in San Diego County by 2008.
- The American Alliance of Health and Physical Activity is the main organization for
the field of Kinesiology. The AAHPERD web site is the home for a number of allied
- American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation (AAPAR)
- National Association for Girls and Women in Sport (NAGWS)
- American Association for Health Education (AAHE)
- National Dance Association (NDA)
- National Association Sport and Physical Education (NASPE)
- American Association for Active Lifestyles and Fitness (AAALF)
- American Association for Health Education
- Adapted Physical Activity Council
- Sports Management Council
- National Council of Secondary School Athletic Directors
- National Intramural Sports Councils
- Biomechanics Academy
- Exercise Physiology Academy
- Motor Development Academy
- Sport Sociology Academy
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Careers in Physical Education
- National Academy of Sports Medicine
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- American Council of Exercise
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology
- North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity