You Will Receive A Form 1098-T Tuition Statement
- If you paid (out of pocket) for enrollment fees (the $46 / unit)
- You completed the class with a passing grade in a calendar year (January through December)
- And you provided a valid social security.
Financial Aid and other Fee waiver amounts that covered your enrollment fees are not subject to 1098-T reporting; thus, only the enrollment fees not covered by Financial Aid/waivers are reported on Form 1098-T. Form 1098-Ts are mailed at the end of January to your mailing address provided on your SURF account and available on-line in your SURF account.
You Will NOT Receive A Form 1098-T Tuition Statement
If 100% of your enrollment fees were paid/covered by financial aid, and or other aid/waivers or you did not provide a valid social security number.
Form 1098-T Tuition Statements are issued for tuition/enrollment fees paid for classes (out-of-pocket) with a passing grade in a calendar year (January – December) and you provided a valid social security number. Other fees such as parking fees, course fees, and health fees are not reportable on the 1098-T.
If you did not provide a social security number, please submit a Change of Personal Information form, along with a copy of your Social Security Card and Photo ID before December 1st. The link in the previous sentence will direct you to an e-signature form where you will be able to upload a copy of your Social Security Card and Photo ID and which, when completed, will automatically be forwarded to Admissions. To contact Admissions for assistant please call 760-795-6620 or via Live Chat.
What is an IRS 1098-T Tax form?
1098-T tax form is a tuition statement provided by the college to all eligible students who made qualified tuition related payments within the tax year.
Where do I go to obtain my 1098T?
- It will be mailed to your address provided in your SURF account and will be available on your Surf Account by January 31.
- It is also accessible through the ECSI website https://heartland.ecsi.net
What does not qualify as payments received?
- Room and board, student activities, books or supply charges, insurance, equipment, personal or living expenses, transportation.
I have not received my 1098T what should I do?
- It could be because you did not provide the college with a valid Social Security Number.
- You did not provide a valid mailing address. Please submit a Change of Personal Information form, along with a copy of your Social Security Card and Photo ID before December 1st. Once you submit the change of personal information form it will automatically be forwarded to Admissions. To contact Admissions for assistant please call 760-795-6620 or via Live Chat.
- You did not pay your own enrollment fees.
- It could be that there was no reportable information for the current tax year.
- It could be that you had a third party submit payments which paid your entire tuition for the reportable tax year.
Are scholarships and grants calculated in my 1098-T tax form?
Box 5 shows the total amount of scholarships or grants you received during the calendar year.
Which box shows my payments made to the college?
Box 1 shows the total amount of payments received for qualified tuition.